I have found a tortoise - help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darcey

5 Year Member
I have found a torotise, from the size I would say it is 10 years old. We have notified Police, RSPCA,newspapers etc to no avail. I am willing to give it a home but there is an issue with feeding. The torrtoise looks like it might have been overfed (raised lumps on shell) it is also very fussy with food. I have tried all the edible weeds as recommended but it turns up its nose. If I give it some small pieces of gem lettuce, tomato or banana it wolfs them down. I know that these foods should not be fed in any quantity but how do I get it to eat what is suitable ?

Any advice would be welcome

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Darcey:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

First of all, you need to know what kind of tortoise it is. Different kinds take different care. Can you post a picture?

Secondly, put up fliers on the utility poles in the neighborhood where the tortoise was found. Place an ad in the Lost and Found section of the paper. "Found" ads are free. You can also post it on Craig's list for free. But don't put in too much information. Just say "found tortoise" and let the caller I.D. the tortoise.

Because you refer to the tortoise as being bumpy, I'm going to assume that it is a sulcata. They eat grass and weeds. And they can grow to be over 100lbs. They don't hibernate and need to be kept warm in the winter.

Good luck, and please post a picture.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum... Photo's of the tortoise or even what kind of tortoise will help in working out the food problem..

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Tuff love is prolly going to be the rule (for feeding) after we figure out what kind it is. Wish u luck!!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
emysemys said:
Hi Darcey:

First of all, you need to know what kind of tortoise it is. Different kinds take different care. Can you post a picture?

Secondly, put up fliers on the utility poles in the neighborhood where the tortoise was found. Place an ad in the Lost and Found section of the paper. "Found" ads are free. You can also post it on Craig's list for free. But don't put in too much information. Just say "found tortoise" and let the caller I.D. the tortoise.

Because you refer to the tortoise as being bumpy, I'm going to assume that it is a sulcata. They eat grass and weeds. And they can grow to be over 100lbs. They don't hibernate and need to be kept warm in the winter.

Agree with this^^^

dbsneed69

5 Year Member
TN
tyler0912 said:
emysemys said:
Hi Darcey:

Agree with this^^^

Ditto^^

Darcey

5 Year Member
Thanks.

I believe it to be a Hermans or maybe spur thigh, I can't post a picture today as the weather is poor and it hasn't appeared today !!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you dont have it secure and safe somewhere?
GO dig it out and find , so we can ID and let you know what it needs.
Staying hidden and cold might not be good for it...
where are you? state...

Darcey

5 Year Member
Laura said:
you dont have it secure and safe somewhere?
GO dig it out and find , so we can ID and let you know what it needs.
Staying hidden and cold might not be good for it...
where are you? state...

It is dry and safe in its straw fill house in a fenced off area.

I am almost certain it is a hermans

I am in southern England

C

Claireabbo

i agree with the fact that we want some some pictures :D i really hope he/she will be ok and you can get it fed the right diet :D

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Welcome!
It's a Herman's Tortoise. Yey. And by your descriptions he/she has been fed mainly on tomatoes, lettuces etc.. They are tastier than weeds, but in quantities defiantly not ideal!
Tortoise don't starve themselves, so just offer them fresh weeds and grass everyday. If he's hungry enough, he'll eat. Might take a day or two.
From the looks of it, the tortoise doesn't look bad at all! I was worried it would be heavily pyramided, but it's just a little.
Hopefully you find the owner or become a happy keeper. :D
Mina

Darcey

5 Year Member
Taking it to the vets tomorrow to find out its health etc and to see if it is chipped

C

Claireabbo

he/shes a cutie! definatley a herman. :D beautiful tort for the issues it has had.

Status
Not open for further replies.