I found a tortoise - please identify

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDeus

5 Year Member
Hi,

A neighbor contacted us when they found this tortoise in their yard. We'd like to adopt it if nobody claims it or if it isn't a wild tortoise, although I don't think it's wild. From what I read, we don't have any wild tortoises in this area (Watsonville, California).

I think it's a Hermann's tortoise from what I was able to look up, but I could be way off. His shell is about 6-8" from head to tail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• tort.jpg
    tort.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 96

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I believe you have a russian, most likely someones escaped pet. I would contact rescues around you and post signs to find the owner. Check out the greek area for some great advice for care. Diet would consist of dark greens, spring mix, endive, escrole, dandelion, etc. no fruits and no animal protein. www.russiantortoise.org Good Luck.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Looks Greek to me, not Russian (as their shells are flatter and this one appears pretty domed) ...to be considerate, you might post fliers around your neighborhood, or put a found add up first before considering adopting it.

Torts can be quite the escape artists, and since it is (or was) someone's pet, they could be missing her very dearly....It would be what I would want someone to do if they found my tortoise wandering. As tempting as it is to just keep it :).....

XDeus

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses. Fliers have been posted, but there haven't been any responses. We live out in a pretty rural area, so there aren't a lot of neighbors around. What are the chances that he could have survived in the wild? When we found it he was rather dirty as if he burrowed in for the winter.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I first said greek, then I went and changed it to russian. But looking at the front leg I see spurs, so I think I will go back to greek as well, but don't ask sub species I won't beable to tell you that one :) I agree with Meg, please try and find it's home. There are plenty of rescues that you could adopt a tortoise from that is looking for a home.

I don't know much about greeks but its possible, someone lost there pet or dumped it, and it got cold so it burrowed and now that it's warming up he came out. But again who knows, I've heard stories of torts missing for months and then is found again. Here is a caresheet for greeks. http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/turtles/greek-tortoise.php

XDeus

5 Year Member
Thanks again. I'll keep looking for the owner, but in the mean time I wanted to provide him with good care. I breed Ball Pythons and have a variety of other snakes and geckos, so I know a little about reptile care. However, knowing the species makes it a lot easier.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Greeks are pretty easy, if its warm out you can keep him outdoors that would be best, if not indoors is easy to set up and feed him lots of greens and such, Just google greek tortoise care and you will find a lot, Also ask questions we can help you out.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I'm sure that Danny will help with the subspecies...but you said you found it burrowed? Did you did it up? That can help to identify it as well, as some species don't hibernate, but my greek does "bed down" for the night...he used to burrow into the substrate, but now uses his log hide...

Could it be possible that you discovered it when it was just waking up for the day?

I am not sure about the chances of it surviving in the wild for very long. More than likely, until very recent, it was someone's pet.

Could you post a few more photos? To show what kind of shape its in? Like whether its beak needs a trim? The nails looked pretty long, also, if you take a pic of the underside of the shell near the tail area, someone here will be able to tell you the sex of the animal as well.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It is a Greek tortoise :D I'd need to see a whole plastron picture to be able to tell subspecies, but it looks like a Testudo graeca ibera.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.