I finally got my own Leopard baby

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Hello and thanks :)
I'm from Japan.

His brothers have similar pattern. :)

He makes me happy everyday more than I expected before. :<3:
Really interesting babies. We don't see patterns like that often here is the USA. I think they are gorgeous

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very pretty baby. Congrats. To keep him/her looking just as beautiful, be sure to follow Toms caresheet for raising smooth leopards. You can find some of his threads below in my post. Just click on the thread title. The care for a sulcata is the same as a leopard.

donmacho

Thanks for everyone on this forum. :)

I have a closed enclosure that 80%~100% humidity.
should I use misting machine for more moisture on the shell?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and thanks :)
I'm from Japan.

His brothers have similar pattern. :)

He makes me happy everyday more than I expected before. :<3:

Does the breeder have an idea about the origin of the parents? Where in the leopard tortoise range did they come from?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Wow!!!!! He is SO cute!!!! Congratulations! Looks like a healthy, plump little baby with a gorgeous shell!

donmacho

Does the breeder have an idea about the origin of the parents? Where in the leopard tortoise range did they come from?
I think. the parents came from Somalia since my little one is named Somalia leopard tortoise.(in Japanese)
if you google ソマリアリクガメ(japanese font if you can't see it sorry) you can see many photos of them. :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=ソマリ...2&ved=0ahUKEwiYn4Xl39LNAhUGxWMKHRJsA3UQsAQIGw

Wow!!!!! He is SO cute!!!! Congratulations! Looks like a healthy, plump little baby with a gorgeous shell!
Thank you. :<3:
It took me few monthes to find the smooth shell babies. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Oh he is such a sweet little tort! GOD bless.

And welcome to the forum!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
e0117236_18521694.jpg

Here is one image from the link suggested.

donmacho

Oh he is such a sweet little tort! GOD bless.

And welcome to the forum!
thank you!
e0117236_18521694.jpg

Here is one image from the link suggested.
That link's site says its Ethiopia farm at 2010(55 temperature at early morning) . There is bit diffarence between Somalia ones(2003 shipped Japan) and Ethiopia ones.
Also local people say rarely found over 80centimeter ones in Ethiopia.(73centimeter image one)

2.4os meant 69grams.
he is 72-78grams(pee,poops) after 6days.

messures show centimeter. They look like 55-70 centimeter.:<3:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
thank you!

That link's site says its Ethiopia farm at 2010(55 temperature at early morning) . There is bit diffarence between Somalia ones(2003 shipped Japan) and Ethiopia ones.
Also local people say rarely found over 80centimeter ones in Ethiopia.(73centimeter image one)

2.4os meant 69grams.
he is 72-78grams(pee,poops) after 6days.

messures show centimeter. They look like 55-70 centimeter.:<3:

Thanks much, this is all very interesting to me.

A friend who is a chelonian biologist spent several years in Ethiopia, his wife is a hydrologist-engineer and that is why they were there. During his time in Ethiopia he found at least one tortoise (leopard) that weighed 72 or 73 kilos. Truly a giant. When I look at topo maps of the area I see that the individuals that may have been native to the lowlands of Ethiopia are potentially separated from those in Somalia by low mountains. The friend was in Addis Abbada. Apparently at the altitude Addis is not favorable to natural nests, so he suggested all those on school grounds and other 'collections' were brought from the lower elevation in Ethiopia and maybe Somalia. A woman at the German Embassy in Addis artificially incubated eggs and the neonates look very different than those you posted images of.

There are breeders of these giants in a few places including your source in Japan. One in Taiwan https://www.facebook.com/jparanch/ seems to have good luck as well. There is another in Spain too.

donmacho

Thanks much, this is all very interesting to me.

A friend who is a chelonian biologist spent several years in Ethiopia, his wife is a hydrologist-engineer and that is why they were there. During his time in Ethiopia he found at least one tortoise (leopard) that weighed 72 or 73 kilos. Truly a giant. When I look at topo maps of the area I see that the individuals that may have been native to the lowlands of Ethiopia are potentially separated from those in Somalia by low mountains. The friend was in Addis Abbada. Apparently at the altitude Addis is not favorable to natural nests, so he suggested all those on school grounds and other 'collections' were brought from the lower elevation in Ethiopia and maybe Somalia. A woman at the German Embassy in Addis artificially incubated eggs and the neonates look very different than those you posted images of.

There are breeders of these giants in a few places including your source in Japan. One in Taiwan https://www.facebook.com/jparanch/ seems to have good luck as well. There is another in Spain too.
Thanks for the information.
I'm a real newbie on reptiles and did not even know Somalia was not popular locality. :eek:

pics for monthly record

Attachments

• IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0809.JPG
    IMG_0809.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0810.JPG
    IMG_0810.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0811.JPG