Diapause: Is it needed when there is mixed breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Mother is GPP 100%. Father is GPP-GPB, 50-50. I have a baby.

Is the diapause period that is needed by GPPs for proper embryo development needed for a mixed parentage egg that is basically 75% GPP?

The reason I ask is that my little one is one of these hatchlings and is growing in slooooo motion. Much slower than what I read GPPs to do. So has the 25% GPB in his genes taken over, or, heaven forbid, is my little one not fully developed because there was no diapause period. He or she is basically same weight and size since I got 4 months ago. I have closed chambers and follow Tom's recommendations to a "T" for TOM. I know GPB are slower growing, but this slow when my baby is 75% GPP?

Serious wondering. Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
There is just no way you are going to know this "for certain"..we can all speculate but no way anyone can tell you for sure....also, keep in mind that growth rate has so many active factors that I would not be alarmed....if your tort is good in all other ways...then the growth rate is what it is designed/fated to be.....

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
With my recent leopard hatchlings, I didn't really go for a diapause. I left them at room temps for 6 days and then incubator and they all hatched fine. Mine are mixed also and some are definitely growing faster than others. I believe it has to do with genes more than diapause though. I wouldn't worry about growth rates now, my male G.P.P. grew fairly slowly until he was about 4 years old and then took off like a rocket.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is the problem with mixing. You just never know. Greg just got a 100% hatch rate with no diapause. Neal increased his hatch rate to 100% by introducing a natural diapause and leaving his eggs in the ground until June.

While Gpp will reach a larger size, I can't say that they grow "faster" than Gpb. How was your baby started before you got it? This would be a bigger factor in my mind.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
In regard to diapause, a relation of mine who has studied at and with some of the top international specie breeding locations applies what they do. Most do not introduce diapause in that they've seen no increase or decrease with the hatch rate. The afore mentioned relation has great success with his tortoises.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Thank you everyone, lots. The breeder of my baby heard about TFO, and Tom's method, from me. It was a who knew? thing. So glad there was this forum to share further and threads for him to do his own research. He loves his leopard tortoises and I know wants the best for them. He has a herd of 9, I think.

His new clutch is hot and humid, closed chambers from the get go. My little one did not get that at first but has since he came to me at about 4 months. My baby also has funky crazy scutes. In any case, super slo - like slo mo no - growth, and baby is almost 8 months. Eats and grazes and basks and is generally a happy little thing. But with 3/4 GPP I was hoping I would actually see some growing going on. Just me being impatient. Nature bats first ... and last ... duh!

Thanks you again experts. Much appreciated. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.