Hydrokable Heating Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleym

5 Year Member
Doing a little research on the best way to heat my under construction outdoor "closed chambers" style enclosure for winter time and came across this.

The wooden box will be insulated between the outer wood and the interior plywood and I wanted to do a waterproof paint finish on the inside. I'm not too familiar with paint and I was reading that this paint that I am looking at (Rust-Oleum Interior/Exterior Flat Boat Bottom Marine Paint) is flammable, combustible, and apparently releases copper to prevent the build-up of typical marine growth. I was considering buying this Hydrokable Heating Cable with a thermostat & temperature dial for the cold months/nights to bury under the substrate, but I was concerned that with it being sandwiched between the substrate and this particular paint on wood that it might not be a good idea? Sorry if I seem overly paranoid, but I just want to make sure that this isn't going to present a health hazard to my tortoise.

mikeh

5 Year Member
While I am not sure what effect it would have on the paint, from experience I can tell you under 3" of substrate it only provides gentle warmth. I like using it for indoor closed chamber as it doesn't dry out the air. It doesnt get hot, I believe the cable gets to no more then 100F. If your tortoise is a digger I would be concerned about the tort digging down and coming into the contact with the cable.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

ashleym

5 Year Member
I think I may just line the interior with a tarp to be on the safe side. That paint just doesn't sound good to me. I guess that probably isn't as warm as I would like it to be.. I keep reading up on the benefits of the baby pig mats but i'm nervous about him overheating or it being hazardous because they should not be buried under anything.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Wheather the heat cable(s) would be an acceptable source depends on size of the enclosure, how well it is insulated, how prone it is to drafts, what climate you live in and what kind of tort you have.

I don't have experience with pig blankets, can't give any input there.

ashleym

5 Year Member
mikeh said:
Wheather the heat cable(s) would be an acceptable source depends on size of the enclosure, how well it is insulated, how prone it is to drafts, what climate you live in and what kind of tort you have.

I don't have experience with pig blankets, can't give any input there.

By the looks of it, if it does work I think I may actually need two of them.. but maybe not. The enclosure is 43" x 43" completely. The insulation hasn't been done yet, so that will probably take it down to around 39" by 39". The height is.. probably around a foot tall or a little bit more. In one area of the roof we are making it more raised though (around 11" more) to hold the light just level over the rest of the enclosure. We get pretty cold winters, but during the warmer summer months the lid will be able to be open most days without any heat sources until night when it just faintly drops, if any. We are going to put a weather strip around the top of the door, hoping that it will also help hold in everything/keep the cold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.