Question about heating cable

Konza

5 Year Member
I have been using the Hydor Hydrokable and Hydroset (thermometer) as a heating element under my substrate (cypress mulch) in my enclosure for my redfoot. I've had this set up for about a year, and the heating cable just stopped working this past week. The thermostat is still showing power, but the cable is cold. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this the typical lifespan for this equipment? I guess what I'm wondering is should I just buy the same thing again and plan to replace it in a year or so, or is there another similar product you'd recommend? Even when the unit was functioning the humidity was never as high as I wanted. I'm not crafty enough to rig up something from spare parts. Any advice would be great, thanks!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I've been using the waterproof heat cables from http://www.bigappleherp.com/ for over a year and a half. So far so good. I don't necessarily think the cable helps significantly raise the humidity for me (though I haven't tested humidity levels with and without it on). However, even if my enclosure temps are in the mid to low 70s, the ground where my torts lay on is a comfortable 80 degrees. It just gives me peace of mind that my torts don't catch a cold :D Sorry your cable stopped working.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
I've had good luck with the bigappleherp cables. They are among the few that are waterproof, not just water resistant. So far, so good.