Changing humidity levels hurting tortoise?

AshleyFrench

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
Okay, so a couple days ago, I changed my sulcata's substrate from Reptisoil to Zoomed's bark stuff. When it was just the former, the humidity levels jumped all over the place (25%-60%) because I would spray it very often to try to keep it moist. He would sneeze, wheeze, and rub his eyes. Ever since I changed it, the humidity levels have been staying around 50% and all times with me only spraying it day and night. I have noticed that he is starting to burrow and haven't heard much of his "noises". Can the constantly changing humidity levels affect this?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay, so a couple days ago, I changed my sulcata's substrate from Reptisoil to Zoomed's bark stuff. When it was just the former, the humidity levels jumped all over the place (25%-60%) because I would spray it very often to try to keep it moist. He would sneeze, wheeze, and rub his eyes. Ever since I changed it, the humidity levels have been staying around 50% and all times with me only spraying it day and night. I have noticed that he is starting to burrow and haven't heard much of his "noises". Can the constantly changing humidity levels affect this?
I haven't encountered the problem you describe in enclosures with fluctuating humidity. I have encountered that problem in enclosures with dry or dusty substrate.

I think you'll find that the orchid bark (your new stuff) is a much better substrate for the tortoise.

If this is a baby, you need much higher humidity and more stable conditions. A closed chamber would make achieving this easy.

AshleyFrench

Idaho
I haven't encountered the problem you describe in enclosures with fluctuating humidity. I have encountered that problem in enclosures with dry or dusty substrate.

I think you'll find that the orchid bark (your new stuff) is a much better substrate for the tortoise.

If this is a baby, you need much higher humidity and more stable conditions. A closed chamber would make achieving this easy.
How high should the humidity levels be?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California