Humidity HELP!

Wonder Tort

Hi,I recently got a Russian tortoise a week ago and I just moved him from a 20 gallon tank to a 54 gallon rubbermaid tote. Before, the humidity used to be about 50% in the tank, but now since I added more substrate(65% Scotts Topsoil and 35% coconut coir) THE HUMIDITY IS 90% AT NIGHT. The temperature at night is about 67 Deg Fahrenheit. Is this okay for the tortoise? Any suggestions on how to lower the humidity? Maybe if I let the topsoil dry out a bit the humidity will lower?

Wonder Tort

It is a healthy(ish) tortoise. I got it about a week ago. Since I got it from Petco, adopted, I am pretty sure it is an adult Russian Tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That cold and that high humidity will make your tortoise sick. I would put him back in the tank until the tote dries out some. An adult russian only needs around 30% humidity. A baby needs the higher humidity.

Wonder Tort

during the day, the hot side is 90 deg with the basking spot at 97 deg. the cool side is at 75 degrees. Do you know how to lower the humidity or dry the substrate? should I remove the water bowl for now?

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Two things can dry out the tote. Time and heat (from a basking lamp or whatever heat source you use) or replacement of the substrate. Either one will work. Russians don't need a great deal of humidity as adults. Ensure the humidity is anywhere from thirty to fifty percent, and things should be fine. Either wait for the medium to dry out, or start anew, whichever you prefer. Once the humidity is down, try to keep it in place by watering the substrate. Don't worry. With some trial and error, you'll get the hang of it. I usually moisten the substrate on the warm side to encourage evaporative humidity. This also ensures that the cooler side can drop into the lower sixties while remaining relatively dry. And always use warm water when adding moisture to the substrate, especially during this cooler time of year.

T.G.

seiff

Give it a few days... it'll dry out and still leave moisture below that'll slowly release. You cal always spritz and cover later if you want to vary / cycle humidity.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
If you have extra heat lights that's what I'd use to dry it, We have a wood burning stove at my house that I'd put it near and it would dry in a day or 2. ANy heat you can. I wouldn't replace the soil because you'll most likely just run into the same problem over again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The substrate will dry out pretty quickly under the lights. In the mean time, you can keep it warmer at night so he doesn't get cold sitting on wet substrate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It won't harm him to have 24 hours of daylight once in a while, but they make heat without light - Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE):

ceramic heat emitter.jpg

Wonder Tort

Alright sweet, I'll leave lights on for about 2 nights to lower the humidity and dry the substrate a bit. Thanks!