humidity help

philip1

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Very new to this.. we rescued Philip Wednesday. He was Ina 40 breeder so we moved him to a 50g livestock tank (he loves it) humidity running forty all day, rained last night and popped to 60. We are using the soil recommend in this forum and Cypress mulch (but I think the mix is on the minus of mulch to soil) will adding coconut fiber or coir help stabilize?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Humidity really isn't an issue for Russian tortoises. Just moisten the substrate SLIGHTLY. I'd love to see your new tortoise in his new home.

Reactions: Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Both 40 and 60 are pretty dry. I just pour water from a pitcher over the substrate. Then I mix it up with my hand until all the substrate is moist. The air/light soon dries the top laryer, but it stays moist underneath. You can do this every other week or so, or sooner if it dries out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very new to this.. we rescued Philip Wednesday. He was Ina 40 breeder so we moved him to a 50g livestock tank (he loves it) humidity running forty all day, rained last night and popped to 60. We are using the soil recommend in this forum and Cypress mulch (but I think the mix is on the minus of mulch to soil) will adding coconut fiber or coir help stabilize?
Good for you on the rescue! :)

Russians, and most tortoises, need very large enclosures. Much larger than is typical for similarly sized reptiles. Locomotion help with gut motility, much like a horse, so keeping them in small containers is not good. An adult needs a floor space around 4x8 as a minimum. The tortoise won't suddenly drop dead if kept in something smaller, but over time it is not good for them.

Coco cor is too messy. The best substrate for them is about 4" of fine grade orchid bark. I buy it in bulk at garden centers.