Humidity limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
I Won't to let my Russian let my Russian outside more often, but I am worried about humidity. What is the max humidity levels I should let my Russian out in. Right now if it is higher than 67% I don't let him out. What are the dangers of too high humidity? Thanks!

I live in Florida, and will take him in at night.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
Hmmm, I'm not sure of outside humidity. I wouldn't think it would be a problem. I leave my guys outside when it hot/humid and raining. I think he'll be fine.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
No problem as long it is not combined with cold.
Florida, indoor at night??? God, it is too much even for a Yellow-Foot!!! Please, search infos about Russians- they live EXCLUSIVELY in regions with real winters, they deal with cold nights/warm days etc. Their winters can bring minima down to -15*C (Pakistan/Iran), -30*C (Turkmenistan) or -45*C (Kazakhstan/Mongolia).
They surely will not be ok if rain soaked for a week under 15*C, but they are not happy too if kept as equatorial species. Flagellate proliferation is right around the corner in such conditions. Think about them like they were native to Colorado.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Russians and all other Testudo do just fine outside year round here.........Give the animal a place to get out of the rain and there will be no issues ( This should be for ALL Tortoises, not just Russians.....)

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
The only problem is the enclosure doesn't get sun until about 1 in the afternoon, is that ok?

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
It is ok, he will expose as much as he wish, then retreat. If some bush or something else, to provide patched shade during heat, he will be more active. Shady, cooler, dry hide is a must for extreme hot weather or rainy episodes.
So, there is sun from 1 PM until... what hour?

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
Yeah! I am so excited! I will put him out there as soon as I get home on Sunday! I left him with my trusted grandparents (I went over everything with them, so no worries).

TortieFriends

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Russians can tolerate humidity levels from 20-70%, with preferred humidity in the range of 40-50%.

That's nice to have an ideal range from another owner thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.