Humidifiers on a Table

thisiscowboy

5 Year Member
Humidifiers - are they much use on Tortoise Tables? I've just built one for Tonto (using a small glass, donut humidifier from eBay and an upside down plant pot), and it looks really cool, but i'm not sure how much use it'll be of getting the humidity up as it's open air.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Probably won't work too well giving you what you're striving for. You'll still have to cover the table.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I use open table designs and run 2 humidifiers in the room 24/7

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Your numbers will tell you if it's going to work or not.

I wouldn't trust the readings from that analog disc hydrometer though...

Place a few digital hydrometers in various areas to see if your single humidifier will do the job. I like the idea of a humid reptile room with open enclosures like @deadheadvet mentioned. But even then you'd have to play around with the room until you figure out the correct set up.
I looked into doing that. I defaulted to closed chambers because I couldn't dedicate a room to the torts and I personally didn't want to live in tort conditions :p :tort:

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I have a weatherstation unit that has the remote and the base that stays in the kitchen so I can see what the temp and humidity is without going into the tortoise room. With 2 humidifiers, the room is about 50% humidity and temp varies on how warm or cold I want the room to be. Right now there are 2.2 Burmese Star Adults, 1.1 Burmese Star Subadults, 2.3 Radiated Subadults
3.6.2 Radiata yearlings, in the room.