Anyone use humidifiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I was thinking about getting one for myself, and have heard in the past that they help with humidity in enclosures [obviously]. I'm wondering though, how much will it affect Ernie's enclosure if it is placed solely for my benefit? Meaning, it would simply sit in the bedroom on the floor, probably only on during the nighttime, and his enclosure sits on a dresser, probably about 3 feet above it?

And for those of you that use humidifiers for your torts, have they helped much? Have they made any difference at all? What are your opinions?

M

Maggie Cummings

When I first put Bob out in that shed I started running a humidifier at night, it got all humid in there but I don't know what affect it had on him. He's grown now. So I used it for a couple of months and gave up on it. It's relatively humid in Oregon, it rains daily mold and moss grows everywhere. So I quit adding to it. For my small tortoises in individual habitats I keep moist substrates and that keep the ambient humidity up enough for growing tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use one. It helps keep the humidity right around 50% in my reptile room. The ultra-sonic ones are much more effective. How effective it is in your house will depend on how dry it is and how much air circulation that room gets. Whatever the case, it will be more humid with it than without. If you have an older tortoise, I don't think it will do much for them. If you've got a hatchling, it will help prevent pyramiding, if you keep it humid enough.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I have always used an ultra-sonic humidifier in my reptile room 24/7. It maintains the humidity in the high 50% range at night, low to mid 60% range during the day once the room warms up after the lights all come on.
I think it's definitely beneficial. I've never had any tortoises develop respiratory problems, never any dehydration or dry skin problems. I also spray each enclosure twice, sometime three times daily. It's not just about ambient air humidity but also substrate moisture content.
I believe that a higher humidity range absolutely benefits all ages of tortoises, including older ones. The degree of benefit may depend upon species somewhat. Without a doubt a mid-range to slightly above mid-range humdity level for Mediterranean species and other non-arid species is beneficial. I think that humidity may play a larger part in the health and well being of all ages of tortoises-more than we have yet to realize.
If the ambient humidity in the room that your tortoise is in drops below 50% during the daytime I would even suggest keeping the humidifier on during the day also.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Studies for humans indicate that steam humidifiers are usually safer and more effective.

Cold humidifiers throw whatever pathogens or molds may be growing in their tanks or mechanisms around in the air, while true steam units tend to emit a cleaner mist (although stuff grows more easily in the warmer waters.)

If you use an ultrasonic, it also cools the air- rather significantly.

My personal rules for using an ultrasonic is to never point it in or at the tortoise habitat, only use it to get to about 50% humidity in the room, and to use vinegar to keep the tank and base clean.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Hmm..sounds good. Thanks everyone for the input! Shoot, I got 4 expert opinions! I think I might just have to pick one up =]

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Duh! I mis-wrote "ultra-sonic" thinking of a warm humidifier even though I know the difference! I use a warm air humidifier, not an ultra-sonic humidifier. I started out with a cool air humidifier years ago and it just simply did not humidify the room I needed it too very well at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.