how to treat a respiratory infection

CalebD

Location (City and/or State)
Wexford
my baby sulcata has a respiratory infection i think. he sleeps for at least 23 hours a day and wont eat. He started this behaviour about 4 days ago.His basking area is always above 30C and the rest of his enclosure is above 26C.I give him baths everyday for 15 mins he is still very strong and walks around just fine. also there are no vets near me that can treat reptiles

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Even non hibernating torts are far less active and eat less at this time of year, some days my leopard doesn't leave his hide.
Some of the signs of RI are bubbles from his nose or wheezing or noises when he breathes, if you use the search facility you'll probably find other symptoms.
If you post some pics of his enclosure members can check if there's anything that needs adjusting.
Also check the recommended temps on the caresheet. Yours may need to be a bit higher but see what the caresheet says

I'll tag a few people who may be able to help @ZenHerper @zovick @Yvonne G
(For US members who can help - 26C=78.8F and 30C=86F)

If it is RI you will need to find a vet who can prescribe antibiotics but hopefully it won't come to that.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I wouldn't attempt to self treat any animal because I think that they have a serious issue unless you can tell for a fact that you are correct.
Others will be along to help you with your diagnosis

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most issues with baby tortoises are due to husbandry. Please read the care sheet linked above and make changes to your baby's enclosure accordingly. He should perk up if everything is as it should be. One thing I do differently than you is to keep the whole enclosure 80-85F degrees day and night, and my baby enclosures are covered to make it easier to do that.

CalebD

Wexford
Most issues with baby tortoises are due to husbandry. Please read the care sheet linked above and make changes to your baby's enclosure accordingly. He should perk up if everything is as it should be. One thing I do differently than you is to keep the whole enclosure 80-85F degrees day and night, and my baby enclosures are covered to make it easier to do that.
I was reading through it and one thing I saw was about the humidity. I ordered 10 different humidifiers since I got him all of them broke within. The first 24 hours of having them and they always took so long to arrive. I just got a very good one and if it doesn't break should he go back to normal soon?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I was reading through it and one thing I saw was about the humidity. I ordered 10 different humidifiers since I got him all of them broke within. The first 24 hours of having them and they always took so long to arrive. I just got a very good one and if it doesn't break should he go back to normal soon?
Have you seen the tortoise gasping for breath or have you noticed bubbles coming from the nose, or thick saliva in the mouth? Those are signs of a respiratory infection. If the tortoise is not exhibiting any of those symptoms, it probably does not have a respiratory infection.

If it is not actually a URI, you will then need to look for another reason for the inactivity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
my baby sulcata has a respiratory infection i think. he sleeps for at least 23 hours a day and wont eat. He started this behaviour about 4 days ago.His basking area is always above 30C and the rest of his enclosure is above 26C.I give him baths everyday for 15 mins he is still very strong and walks around just fine. also there are no vets near me that can treat reptiles
26 is a little too cool. It should never drop below 27 day or night. Daytime ambient in the whole enclosure should climb to around 31-33C and the basking area directly under the bulb needs to be around 36-37.

Are you seeing the signs that Zovick listed? What makes you think its a respiratory infection?

How long have you had the tortoise, how old is it, and what does it weigh?

With some more info, we will try to get you all sorted out and on your way.

CalebD

Wexford
Have you seen the tortoise gasping for breath or have you noticed bubbles coming from the nose, or thick saliva in the mouth? Those are signs of a respiratory infection. If the tortoise is not exhibiting any of those symptoms, it probably does not have a respiratory infection.

If it is not actually a URI, you will then need to look for another reason for the inactivity.
Don't think I have seen any of those so hopefully he's OK

CalebD

Wexford
26 is a little too cool. It should never drop below 27 day or night. Daytime ambient in the whole enclosure should climb to around 31-33C and the basking area directly under the bulb needs to be around 36-37.

Are you seeing the signs that Zovick listed? What makes you think its a respiratory infection?

How long have you had the tortoise, how old is it, and what does it weigh?

With some more info, we will try to get you all sorted out and on your way.
Haven't seen any of the signs zovick listed and I've had him for around 3 months he's 5 months old now I think and weighs 54 grams

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Haven't seen any of the signs zovick listed and I've had him for around 3 months he's 5 months old now I think and weighs 54 grams
Almost no one in the whole world starts them correctly. There is a ton of old incorrect care info that is continually spread for this species. Here is the most likely explanation for what you are seeing:

If you want to give him the best possible chance of survival, disregard the other care info you've found, and follow this care sheet to the letter:

If you want more info about how to start babies correctly, read these:

Questions are welcome.