how to get rid of bugs in substrate when baking isn't a option?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
so i was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to get rid of fruit fly's and such from coconut coir when baking it isn't a option

i just got 5 of the big blocks and they won't fit in my oven is there any product or such i can buy to help keep rid of flys and ants

also i tried sawing the bricks in half but it was to messy

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
How do the blocks not fit in your oven? Even just 1 or 2 should fit if your able to bake chicken in a dish.

IF you really can't bake them, some people freeze them.

Also, I kept a colony of Rolly Polly bugs. I think they helped.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
How do the blocks not fit in your oven? Even just 1 or 2 should fit if your able to bake chicken in a dish.

IF you really can't bake them, some people freeze them.

Also, I kept a colony of Rolly Polly bugs. I think they helped.

i have half a oven lol it's kinda pathetic i have to cut a pizza in half just cook it

i was able to get one in there just to try but it started smoldering and it as only at 250

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Freeze them for 24-48 hours. I tried keeping Rollie Pollie bugs in mine but they are eaten before they can eat any of the bug I didn't want.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Pillbugs, rollie pollie bugs, sowbugs, woodlice and other common names for Armadillidiidae do not eat other bugs (http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefile/relatives/sowbugs/sowbug.htm). Freezing may or may not work depending upon the critters infesting the substrate.

You may want to consider 'braising' the substrate instead of baking it. Add water to moisten it slightly and then heat it in a slow oven. By the time the substrate dries enough to smolder, you will have killed most of the unwanted pests. Spreading the substrate into a 2 inch deep baking pan will work better than trying to heat a 4 inch thick block...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Pillbugs, rollie pollie bugs, sowbugs, woodlice and other common names for Armadillidiidae do not eat other bugs (http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefile/relatives/sowbugs/sowbug.htm). Freezing may or may not work depending upon the critters infesting the substrate.

You may want to consider 'braising' the substrate instead of baking it. Add water to moisten it slightly and then heat it in a slow oven. By the time the substrate dries enough to smolder, you will have killed most of the unwanted pests. Spreading the substrate into a 2 inch deep baking pan will work better than trying to heat a 4 inch thick block...

I was under the impression that rollie pollies/pill bugs were not eating the other bugs, rather food competition is what kept the numbers down.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Competition for food is certainly part of it though I'll bet nematodes and other denizens of the dirt contribute greatly to the control of eggs and soft-bodied larvae of many of the undesirables. The no pest strips have worked well for me for small flies, gnats, etc. - use as directed!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon

wouldn't putting water on them cause them to expand? these are the big 10 pound bricks of coco coir

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I've put cider vinegar in a small mason jar with a funnel just above the vinegar,around the enclosure. On the outside. You can't believe how many of them you catch!!

hmmm i may try that if i cant figure out how to sterilize them

what about expanding with boiling water? any one think that would kill some?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Freezing doesn't work. They come back to soon. I Have tried it. Boil it. It will help as long as baking it will.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
wouldn't putting water on them cause them to expand? these are the big 10 pound bricks of coco coir

Yes. But it sounds like you'll be forced to incrementally cook the stuff anyway. Maybe get 2 or more pans so you can rotate without interrupting the progress.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are you going to use this substrate in the enclosure soon? I ask because if you are then I would go ahead and expanded using boiling water. This should kill a lot of it and then once it is already expanded you can always boil it again. It will only expand so far after all :) if you are not going to use it for a while I would just freeze the block until you need it if possible. then use the boiling water method when you're ready to use it.