Bugs in substrate HELP!!!!

Ashleyrod1

Location (City and/or State)
Woodbridge nj
Hello I have a 5 week old sulcata tortoise Who’s named yoda! Who is doing great! Only question or concern I have is in recent days I’ve noticed tiny tiny little bug crawling in his substrate and also these gnat looking flys. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? Are they dangerous to the tortoise? Is this normal to happen?

Also I use eco earth and cypress mulch and I have not changed out the bedding since I got him on June 3rd. Is this bad ?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Those bugs are probably springtails. They should be fine. Google springtails to make sure that's what you are seeing though. They don't hurt the tort. They actually are little cleaners. They will eat left over food you missed during cleanup. And knats just like the warm humid environment you've created with your enclosure. They don't hurt anything either. Just annoying.
You can try getting a Mason jar and poking teenie holes in the lid and filling it a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the way full with apple cider vinegar. They will be attracted to the smell of the cider, crawl in through the holes, drink it, then not be able to get out and will die. Just place it near the enclosure and change it every couple days

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
as for the substrate, that should be fine as long as you are spot cleaning all food and poop daily. Some people on here ive heard can get away with only once a year substrate change

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello I have a 5 week old sulcata tortoise Who’s named yoda! Who is doing great! Only question or concern I have is in recent days I’ve noticed tiny tiny little bug crawling in his substrate and also these gnat looking flys. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? Are they dangerous to the tortoise? Is this normal to happen?

Also I use eco earth and cypress mulch and I have not changed out the bedding since I got him on June 3rd. Is this bad ?

Thank you!
What you describe sounds like springtails of phorid flies. Both are harmless detrivores. They come from the surrounding environment and your tortoises enclosure is a perfect place for them to set up shop and make a family.

I just ignore them, but if you want to get rid of them, you'll have to bake, boil, freeze or replace your substrate every two weeks. I never replace substrate until I move the current resident out and intend to bring something new in. I spot clean and remove uneaten food daily.