How should my tortoise’s poop look?

jUMPSu1t

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I recently scooped up my tort’s poop and noticed it was a rust color, sort of like this. My torts have been eating sweet potatoes a lot lately, so I was wondering if that maybe factored into it? Anyway, I’m wondering if my tortoises are okay.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
I recently scooped up my tort’s poop and noticed it was a rust color, sort of like this. My torts have been eating sweet potatoes a lot lately, so I was wondering if that maybe factored into it? Anyway, I’m wondering if my tortoises are okay.

Hi,

I wouldn't recommend feeding sweet potatoes that often. Its more a "treat food" for Russians.
The majority of their diet should be broad leaf greens.

Stool color depends on what the tortoise is ingesting, thus the rust color might very well be from the sweet potatoes. For the most part, stool is brown to greenish-brown. Hopefully someone else can clarify.

Best,

-Thomas

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome.

The diet of Russians should be weedy and leafy greens. They cannot digest sugars properly, they cause digestive and kidney problems, so sweet foods like fruit, bell pepper, carrot, sweet potato and bell pepper should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all.

Cut right down on the sweet potato and step up the fibrous, weedy greens

jUMPSu1t

Los Angeles
It started out as a treat food, but there were a lot of occasions and now in a state of half-hibernation my tortoises can’t live without it! I’m thinking about gradually lessening the sweet potato every day until there's none left. Thanks!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
It started out as a treat food, but there were a lot of occasions and now in a state of half-hibernation my tortoises can’t live without it! I’m thinking about gradually lessening the sweet potato every day until there's none left. Thanks!
Yes, he can live without it. Just give him the healthy foods like weeds, dandelions and others which is in the notes at the top of this section.

jUMPSu1t

Los Angeles
It worked! We limited the sweet potato each day to a few thin shavings, and the tortoises are perfectly fine. Thank you!

New York
Great questio
I recently scooped up my tort’s poop and noticed it was a rust color, sort of like this. My torts have been eating sweet potatoes a lot lately, so I was wondering if that maybe factored into it? Anyway, I’m wondering if my tortoises are oka

New York
I understand there is no such thing as a bad question,but I must say that I believe that is a great question! Please xcuse my partial answer above.Happy Thanksgiving All