What should I feed my Horsefield Tortoise?

So I've been told I was feeding my tortoise the wrong stuff lately like apples or spinach, they told me a few alternatives but I didn't really understand, thanks for trying to help though whoever said that... I was wondering if anyone who reads this post could list a few things they feed their torts down below in the comments... Good afternoon to you all :)

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
My first choice to feed are weeds from the backyard such as dandelions, sow thistle, filagree, plantain, rose petals, grape leaves, pansies, petunias, hibiscus leaves and flowers, etc. I do not use pesticides in my yard. From the store I buy curly endive, escarole, mustard greens, turnip greens, spring mix, red lettuce, romaine lettuce. I feed kale once in a while. There are a lot of different things you can feed your tortoise that are listed on the Forum. Do not feed your Russian tortoise fruit.

So I've been looking around at useful info and I found a website that someone sent me a link to. it says do not feed to your tortoise unless if its a plant eater. I was wondering are horsefield tortoises plant eaters?? anyway good morning :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tort's diet is leafy greens. It is vegetarian.

It should not be fed high protein foods like meat, egg, peas and beans.

It cannot digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems - so fruit, tomato, carrot and bell pepper should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally, if at all.

Have you read the TFO guide to Horsfield (Russian) care?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

It is a much more reliable guide to care than something found randomly on the internet.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
In winter, most of us supplement with store bought greens and a good quality pellet food.

The Tortoise Table Plant Database (link below) is great for looking up things you can buy in store and things that grow around you for suitability to feed.

Here's a list of suitable greens for your tort.

Look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database if you're not sure what they look like.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Main diet should be broadleaf weeds of a wide variety. Other leaves, flowers and succulents should make up the majority of the rest.

Skip all the text here and just scroll down to the food list. This was written for sulcatas and russians don't need grass. Please ask for help, clarification, and ask all your questions.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/