How do I keep hibiscus alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
mary t said:
Here in Florida we plant the hibiscus and let it grow.. I use jungle mix organic soil in the hole after I rinse the roots lightly off. The more sun the larger my plants... I water them everyday when I clean willies poop pool out.. If you transplant it after its been planted it will go into shock but usually comes back.. The ice cube idea is genius except in Florida when it's 98 they do t last long at all. In fact my husband laughed at me when I put it in the plant on the back porch, guess I didn't think that one through.. Oh well I still think its an awesome idea...

Dont let him laugh too hard .... it's hot here too in So. Cal....and still the cubes will melt at a slower rate than a pure hose or water can feed. The idea is more for indoor plants and or water specific plants who need a more careful regiment and also the risk of water spillage on the interior of a home . Also I wanted to stress the fact that ANY type of soaking with potted or container type plants , literally washes 98% of your fertilizer to the bottom of the tray , where it does no good. Of course this method really dosn't apply to in the ground planting.

JD~:)

mary t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland, florida
I don't use fertilizer.. He does on the avocado trees but I couldn't be bothered. My theory is if it's green it's good. A tortoise is the best pet for me because they eat the weeds I grow...lol...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
tyguy35 said:
So should I just leave it in it's original soil with the fertilizer. I re potted it in all organic soil manure loam peat moss. Every time I repot and wash off the roots it dies lol it's like the only plant I can't keep alive

Yes, leave it in its original soil, don't disturb the roots too much, whether you move it to a bigger pot, or put it into the ground. Especially at this time of year, it can be too much of a shock.
If in the ground, create a small 'moat' around it, so water (or ice cubes) will stay and not drain away.
Fertilize as mentioned if in a pot, or an organic fertilizer if in the ground.
Also, at this time of year, don't put it in full sun, but the part sun/shade sounds fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.