How do I keep hibiscus alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
I have bought atleast 8 hibiscus plants and every single time I repot it into the new sphagnum, loam and manure organic soil it does. Am I over watering I water each day.

What should I do to keep it alive. It comes fertilized so had to be repotted.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hmm thats weird it seems like the only plant I do have success with is a hibiscus lol but were in completely different climates so I am of no help to you sorry. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Its been real hot here but the plant is in a great spot gets both sun and shade. Do you think the soil isnt good enough? The leaves begin to droop and start to yellow hate it.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
When potting it in a container you want good drainage, so water doesn't sit on the roots. when you place it in the new pot, plant it slightly raised above the soil line. Organic B1 fertilizer works well for transplant shock... I use organic potted plant soil... Nothing fancy. the plant is heat tolerant, But the roots are sensitive to heat. make sure the pot you are putting it in is big enough and deep enough to keep the roots cool. (have no clue where u are or how hot it is) Those small pots they come in only work well for the grower because they keep tons of them next to each other which in turn helps keep the roots protected.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
It sucks I cant find soil anywhere that does not have fertilizer

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Most places should carry Kellogg... Its organic and It has only organic fertilizers in it. I've seen it at most garden supplies and nurseries along with home depot and lows.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Ill see if I can just plant it in the ground make things simple. I live in canada today it was 37 degrees celsius which is very hot

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I assume we are talking tropical hibiscus here?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah... Don't let it get too hot, or too cold. It needs sun but not too much. You gotta water it, but not too much.... Ahhh, I can't keep them alive either...... :)

There is a product called Miracid from the Miracle Grow company that is made for acid soil loving plants. In some areas it is not called Miracid any more, but it's the stuff for Azelias, Rhododendrons, Camelias, etc... Just recently found out that Hibiscus like acidic soil, and this stuff works wonders for them. I have one that was apparently dead, and it's coming back after I started using this stuff.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ok ... Gang ,,,I have read most of your posts on this ....
Here is your hot tip on " container gardening" .... aka " potted plants"
As mentioned by other members one thing to watch out for is over watering ( hibiscus don’t care they will take all the water you give them ) but here is the BIG ONE and after reading so much about fertilizing.
If you have a potted plant and water heavy , you do absolutely nothing but wash all your fertilizer down to the bottom of the pot and into the saucer….hence not too much of your fertilizer retains in the soil , where the the plant needs it most to be processed at the root level . To avoid this , water lightly or a couple times a day …plants in pots don’t need to soak…. Like our shelled buddies .
But here is the “ Hot Tip” ….. and this works VERY WELL for indoor plants….. Where water spillage can cause disaster on a 20K hardwood floor . Try using ice cubes…….you will achieve a slow melt and water process that won’t “Flush” all your nutrients to the bottom and second with the “ cube” technique you can accurately monitor how much water you are actually giving to the plant by the number of cubes…..this works extremely well and I have used for many model homes as well as my own.
“ KEEP IT GREEN”
JD~ :)

Jacqui said:
I assume we are talking tropical hibiscus here?

is there any other kind?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I just stuck mine in the ground and it does great. I try to water it every few days if I remember. I should be noted I live in the deep South and I have sandy, clay-based soil in my yard.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
StudentoftheReptile said:
I just stuck mine in the ground and it does great. I try to water it every few days if I remember. I should be noted I live in the deep South and I have sandy, clay-based soil in my yard.

Same here. My hibiscus plants are thriving.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
So should I just leave it in it's original soil with the fertilizer. I re potted it in all organic soil manure loam peat moss. Every time I repot and wash off the roots it dies lol it's like the only plant I can't keep alive

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
You may be shocking the root system... And your soil mixture may be too rich, burning the tiny roots and causing the leaves to turn brown. Also the time of year may be a problem, most plants like to a re-pot in the spring, not when it is too hot. Good luck.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Here in Florida we plant the hibiscus and let it grow.. I use jungle mix organic soil in the hole after I rinse the roots lightly off. The more sun the larger my plants... I water them everyday when I clean willies poop pool out.. If you transplant it after its been planted it will go into shock but usually comes back.. The ice cube idea is genius except in Florida when it's 98 they do t last long at all. In fact my husband laughed at me when I put it in the plant on the back porch, guess I didn't think that one through.. Oh well I still think its an awesome idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.