Hospital Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

teq1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So I decided to build my egyptians a "hospital enclosure" for when they get sick and need to be isolated. The times some of them have been sick, I have to get scramble and get cardboard boxes and struggle to put together a temporary enclosure for them and set up the lights. So I decided to build a temporary home if they happen to get sick. (Actually, my dad will build it :D)

Unfortunately during these past holidays one of my torts developed a respiratory infection. I had plans to leave out of town. Luckily my dad was going to be home and so I left him in charge. He struggled a bit because of how the temporary enclosure was set up, but he managed. So I want to build a simple enclosure that will make it easier for me and for whoever is babysitting the torts if they are sick. I want to have the lights turn on and off automatically that way if anyone has to babysit, they won't have to worry about that :). (By the way, what do you guys use for example, if you want the uvb light on during the day, turn off at night, and at night turn on the che?)

I was thinking of making this enclosure about 20" W x 31" L.

I want to be able to divide it with a piece of wood into a smaller enclosure if needed.

Anywho...the question I had was this. I was thinking of getting the Powersun 100w bulb for this enclosure, only to use when the torts are sick. I am planning on regularly taking all the torts outside for sun, but wouldn't want to stress the sick torts by having to move them constantly in and out. This way, if I have the bulb, the tort will still get proper uvb. What I worry about is the temperatures. Would this bulb be okay to use for an enclosure that size? Would it make the enclosure too hot or would I just have elevate it more than 12"? Is there anything else you guys recommend?

I want to be sure I plan this out right before I hand over the blueprints to my dad to build :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, here's my opinion.

I don't have a hospital enclosure. If I ever get a sick tortoise, I make an enclosure then. There just isn't space here in my small house to have an enclosure all set up with lights, etc. unless it has an inhabitant.

What I would do is go to Home Depot (or in my case Orchard Supply Hardware because I just LOVE that store) and buy a large Sterilite tub, two light fixtures, a day bulb and a CHE, two timers, a small bag of cypress mulch, a hiding place and a waterer and feeding tile. I would store all of this in the tub in a closet for when and if I might need it as a hospital tank.

You can set the two timers, one for each light fixture, one to go on in the a.m. and off in the evening, and the other to go on in the evening and off in the a.m. If you plug one of those power strips into the socket, then each timer into the power strip, they should work properly.

teq1

5 Year Member
Texas
I love home depot too :). I could spend days in there!

Anyway, your idea is good also. I already have an extra light fixture, che, clamp lamps, and extra uvb bulbs (I used to have other torts). So all I would need is a power strip and two timers. Using a large tub is a good idea.
The only thing I'm worried about with that is securing it so that it is cat-proof. My curious cat just cannot resist the temptation of going and jumping on anything that is "climb-able" or anything that she thinks is interesting, which is everything! For example, my current tort table is secured with some wire fence material. She is always on it. I caught her trying to play golf with my torts and she actually flipped one of them over! She had extended her little arm as far as she could in there and actually reached the torts, so I had to put MORE wire fence with way smaller openings so her arm can't fit. But she still hangs around it and even sleeps on top of the tort table :rolleyes:

If I could find a way to make it a really secure enclosure then I could work with that. I'll consider using a large tub and see if I can figure anything out. Would you happen to know dimensions of a tub or table that would be suitable for me to use the Powersun 100w bulb in? I just want to be sure there would be a temperature gradient. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't worry about a gradient in a hospital tub. It should be consistently warm all over the tub.

teq1

5 Year Member
Texas
emysemys said:
Don't worry about a gradient in a hospital tub. It should be consistently warm all over the tub.

I know for respiratory infections you have to have warms temps all around. Is this required also if they happen to have parasites and are on meds?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sure. Not having to warm up, cool down, warm up, etc. is helpful in getting over any kind of illness.

teq1

5 Year Member
Texas
emysemys said:
Sure. Not having to warm up, cool down, warm up, etc. is helpful in getting over any kind of illness.

Oh okay. Well that is very very helpful you have no idea. :D

I'll see what I come up with. Thanks!

And I think I won't use the Powersun bulb. I think I'll just stick with their usual uvb fluorescent bulb and take them outside for natural sun instead of buying those mvb bulbs. To me, from what I hear, they seem to be fragile and burn out easily. It's more convenient for me to take them outside for a few hours instead of going through the hassle of buying expensive mega ray bulbs or those other similar ones. Maybe if I had more money I would consider it but even then, nothing beats natural sunlight :D. South Texas sun will do them some good :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.