building a new enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
i am going to build a new enclosure this winter with my dad, i was hoping i could get some tips on how to build it and what to use. also i wanted a way to better regulate the humidity..... any cool tips?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is this going to be for outside or inside?

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
well i live in New York so i plan on always having her inside. so yeah it would be inside my room :)

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
How involved do you want to be with it? Like, are you wanting to build a big nice tort table that looks like furniture or are you wanting something quick and easy like a bookshelf/shower liner tort table?

A way to better regulate the humidity. How humid is the environment you live in already? How much do you want to bump it up?

Projects are fun. I had a lot of fun planning and building mine.

Oh, and how much space do you have to work with in your room and how big is Ophelia these days?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If you go to enclosures, and look up Candy's post, she had a step by step to building a great enclosure. I'm supposed to be working and haven't got time now.

moswen

5 Year Member
cedar is a good water repellant wood to use, but you might want to go ahead and put a liner in it if you can/have the time. you can get those koi pond liners and mold it to the inside of your enclosure for easy removal and cleanup if you want. i used a shower curtain for a few days as well... they work but they're a little unsightly. higher walls are better for heat and humidity retention, you can build the enclosure with cut-outs for like pots and things that you can sit in there to make them flush with the floor, but if you build high walls you can just put enough substrate in there to cover the bottom of the plants and not worry about cutting. live plants also help with humidity and purifying the air. if you don't want high walls you can make a partial lid that will help hold humidity in as well... or you can make a pretty little plexiglass wall for a vivarium type setting so you can see in without having to look over... moss helps with humidity...

lol, there are lots of ways to go with this!

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
i want this to be a more permanent home, right now i have her in a dresser that i did, and it works ok but i want her to have alittle bit more walking and roaming room. and basically the space is unlimited :) im super excited,

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I've said this before, but Dale's enclosure is one of my favorites. It just looks like it's part the room. Very nice.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
i was wondering if i could buy a large tub from like a tractor supply store? would that work ?

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Yep. Large a tub would work pretty well. Make sure you can get a big enough one though. I think Tom uses big tubs for his hatchlings.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. It might last a while, but its WAY too small for a tortoise.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
heyprettyrave said:
also, i was wondering if this pool would work....
http://turtletub.com/Turtle_Tub_III.html

it looks like it would last awhile

It looks like that's intended to be a water dish/wading pool, and nothing more. Not an enclosure by any means. Anyway, it is much too small for any turtle/tortoise. Looks to be a little bigger than the floor space of a 10 gallon aquarium? Might get away with that size for a tiny hatchling, but nothing bigger.

If you have the money and would really rather do a tub than build your own, probably your best bet for a good quality and LARGE enclosure would be a Waterland Tub. They get a bit pricey, though, so be prepared. Here's the manufacturer's website: http://www.waterlandtubs.com/Products.html It doesn't look like they sell the tubs on the website, but you can buy them from dealers like LLLReptile (see here: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/waterland-tubs/).

What species and size tortoise is this for, anyway? If it's a larger tortoise of a more active species, a tub may not even be an option... However, if it's a smaller tortoise and species, you may be able to get away no problem with just, say, a Christmas tree storage tub by Iris (generally $25-30, only sold during Christmas time; roughly 4x1.25 ft floorspace).

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
heyprettyrave said:
this wouldnt be an enclosure lol, i wanted it for her poool

OH, okay, lol. That makes much more sense. Sorry.

The one thing that strikes me about that as a water dish is that you would need to fill it a good ways with rocks or something, unless you have a box turtle or maaaybe a redfoot. Looks too deep for the average tortoise...

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
yeah i figured fill it with pebbles until she gets alot larger, its soo pricey though :)
and she is a red foot

i was actually wondering if it was possible to have a flitered pool in the enclosure, that i wouldnt have to change that much

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Lowes has cheap tubs that I use for my tortoises and the Lowes that are close to me have a big and small one the small ones I use as water tubs for my big tortoises and the big ones I use as my enclosures for my hatchlings when they are indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.