What to use to seal wood for new enclosure

mcory

I need to build a new enclosure. Mold took over my enclosure and I am thinking this could be a part of the reason my tort has been sick. I have her in a temperary 50 gallon plastic tub with new substrate for now . What wood and sealant is best?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
My main reason for using glass aquariums and rubbermaid totes is because I fear mold issues. Is there any way you would consider making your enclosure from either of those?

I know it doesn't answer your question but maybe it will open up more options for you.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Regular plywood is fine as long as you seal it. We used a nontoxic deck sealant from Home Depot to seal our new enclosure. That stops the mold problem. I can almost guarantee the mold is making your tort sick.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
In every one of my enclosures I have my torts in I use regular plywood and a polyurethane sealant. Three or four coats is enough. Just make sure it's completely dry before setting up.

Ok I should say most of them.

mcory

Thank you guys so much:) I am using the biggest Rubbermaid I could get:) but need to start planning a long term enclosure! I really hope she gets healthy now!