Horsefield soil questions

Emma Yorkshire

Location (City and/or State)
Durham
So I have lots on pansies and other flowers in the garden in plant pots but they are planted in compost. I know its a definite no no to use compost in the enclosure but are you okay to feed from the garden with it?

Thanks in advance

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
If the compost is unadulterated with fertilizers and pesticides (and horrible stuff like paint or motor oil, as I imagine it is) then there shouldn't be a problem with feeding your tort food from the garden.

Jamie

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
If the compost is unadulterated with fertilizers and pesticides (and horrible stuff like paint or motor oil, as I imagine it is) then there shouldn't be a problem with feeding your tort food from the garden.

Jamie

Paint & motor oil in garden compost? I Must be making the wrong kind ?. My compost is worked on and processed and broken down by my red wriggler worms who get banana peels & old lettuce & grass clippings and cucumber potato skins. But motor oil & paint?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Paint & motor oil in garden compost? I Must be making the wrong kind ?. My compost is worked on and processed and broken down by my red wriggler worms who get banana peels & old lettuce & grass clippings and cucumber potato skins. But motor oil & paint?
My compost is too, but I have a neighbor who thinks his crap-pile is compost, and the first time I went over to grab some of his offered "compost" for our garden, I was filling a couple of 5-gallon buckets and came across a dozen old batteries, an old can of paint, and an oil-covered dip-pan. Nowadays I specify what I mean by compost.

Jamie

Fish Breath

NY
I thought rust could be composted...OH NO THATS WHY MY OLD TORTOISE DIED

not actually lol

Emma Yorkshire

Durham
Sorry I don't mean home made compost I mean the kind you buy from a garden centre, normally called multi purpose compost. On of the pots the compost has been in a few years so I figured that should be OK

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If you're going to buy bagged soil at a garden center look for organic potting or top soil. They are safe to use for growing plants in for tortoises as well as an enclosure substrate. Plants grown in clean compost, that which only contains organic materials, is also perfectly safe to feed to tortoises. As are plants grown in any soil as long as you know for sure that there are no chemicals in that soil.