Safe compost?

Avuwyy

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool, Merseyside
Had a small look around and couldn’t find any answers regarding safe brands, or full list of ingredients to avoid when purchasing premade compost. (Note: I cannot produce my own compost at this moment in time but I will be seeking to do so in the future)

Organic means chemical free right? I understand the use of chemicals on plants for feeding is a no, but are there any other things to watch out for in premade compost ingredients wise? I was looking at getting the ‘My Happy Garden Organic Compost’ and using it to make a compost tea to feed my indoor plants, as they would benefit from something other than eggshells.

I would appreciate any recommended brands also if anyone has any experience with picking out premade composts…

All answers will be gratefully received :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Had a small look around and couldn’t find any answers regarding safe brands, or full list of ingredients to avoid when purchasing premade compost. (Note: I cannot produce my own compost at this moment in time but I will be seeking to do so in the future)

Organic means chemical free right? I understand the use of chemicals on plants for feeding is a no, but are there any other things to watch out for in premade compost ingredients wise? I was looking at getting the ‘My Happy Garden Organic Compost’ and using it to make a compost tea to feed my indoor plants, as they would benefit from something other than eggshells.

I would appreciate any recommended brands also if anyone has any experience with picking out premade composts…

All answers will be gratefully received :)
Organic doesn't mean it is safe. Oleander and azaleas are organic, but certainly not safe.

Chemical fertilizers are fine to use, but your tortoise should not have direct access to ANY fertilizer product. Perfectly fine to have a raised garden bed for growing tortoise food and use plain fertilizer of any type. Just don't use combo fertilizers that have pesticides or weed killers, like "weed n feed" types.

Where and how are you planing to use the compost? Will the tortoise be able to have direct contact with it? Maybe we could suggest alternatives, if needed?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
@Tom probably missed this bit where you said what you plan to do with our compost.

was looking at getting the ‘My Happy Garden Organic Compost’ and using it to make a compost tea to feed my indoor plants, as they would benefit from something other than eggshells.”

Sooo, you are going to make a compost “tea” then use this water to water your plants. Seems legit & ok. I take it you are watering your plants with the compost tea & then feeding these plants to your tortoise?

Like Tom said it’s ok to use fertilizers to fertilize your safe garden plants & feed those to your tort.

✅✅ Per Tom’s post above “Chemical fertilizers are fine to use, but your tortoise should not have direct access to ANY fertilizer product. Perfectly fine to have a raised garden bed for growing tortoise food and use plain fertilizer of any type. Just don't use combo fertilizers that have pesticides or weed killers, like "weed n feed" types.”

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Ah, I may have misunderstood a few things regarding keeping plants safe for tortoise consumption. Glad I posted this so I may learn certain fertilisers are fine to use for plants outside of the tortoise’s enclosure. :)

And yes, the plan was to find a safe compost to feed the plants which would then be getting fed to my tortoise as I didn’t know certain fertilisers were fine so long as the tortoise wasn’t in direct contact with them. Good to know I have more options now though!

I was going to add some plants to my tortoise’s enclosure at a later date though. Would creating a compost tea with safe ingredients for these plants be safe for my tortoise to be in contact with and consume? Or would it be worth going in a different direction with this. (Was also looking into isopods to help break down waste for the plants, but unsure if these pose a risk to tortoises as I’ve mainly seen this done with bearded dragon enclosures….)

Thank you both for taking the time to respond!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ah, I may have misunderstood a few things regarding keeping plants safe for tortoise consumption. Glad I posted this so I may learn certain fertilisers are fine to use for plants outside of the tortoise’s enclosure. :)

And yes, the plan was to find a safe compost to feed the plants which would then be getting fed to my tortoise as I didn’t know certain fertilisers were fine so long as the tortoise wasn’t in direct contact with them. Good to know I have more options now though!

I was going to add some plants to my tortoise’s enclosure at a later date though. Would creating a compost tea with safe ingredients for these plants be safe for my tortoise to be in contact with and consume? Or would it be worth going in a different direction with this. (Was also looking into isopods to help break down waste for the plants, but unsure if these pose a risk to tortoises as I’ve mainly seen this done with bearded dragon enclosures….)

Thank you both for taking the time to respond!
I keep plants in my enclosures potted so that the tortoises can't get to them. They just get eaten or trampled any other way. I use soil in the pots that has no additives like chemicals insecticides or perlite. I don't want them living on the sol or having access to it, but it should be fine to grow plants in a pot where my torties cant reach it.

Isopods, springtails, and other detrivores should be okay to use and not harm your tortoises. Its possible that the tortoises might eat an isopod now and then, but it should do no harm.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Organic doesn't mean it is safe. Oleander and azaleas are organic, but certainly not safe.

The toxic compounds are broken down by the composting process - the finished compost is not toxic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The toxic compounds are broken down by the composting process - the finished compost is not toxic.
If its fully composted, that may be true, but sometimes some of the material isn't quite finished with the composting process. I've had this happen personally. Had to pull jacaranda leaves out of a baby's mouth before I realized this problem.