soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
I just ordered lots of plant and weed seeds for my 2babies but need to plant in a flowerbox indoors as I don't have a garden yet.
I read somewhere that you have to be careful about what soil things grow in incase it goes into the plants. Is that right?? If yes then do I get some sort of organic soil or is any garden centre compost ok? I ain't good with garden stuff lol but not sure if the info was right? Don't want to upset their tummys :S

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
If it does not have chemicals then it is okay to use but let's see what more experienced keepers have to say!:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think it really matters too much. Probably what you're referring to is if you are going to plant in the tortoise's habitat, you don't want to use a mixture that has those little perlite balls in it because the tortoise might eat the perlite.

It is my understanding that the chemical fertilizers in the soil are taken up by the plant and converted into nutrients. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. So by the time your tortoise eats the plant, he's not eating fertilizer, but plant nutrients.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
When in doubt go organic. If my understanding is correct you're talking about a small planter, yes? So why not just go with the organic soil mixes that are available. You can even find those at big garden centers as opposed to hippie stores like in the past. I don't know that it matters, but it's worth the effort for our little charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.