hibiscus store bought trees

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I wish hibiscus would simply survive here. Burns in the summer. Freezes in the winter.

I tried rose of sharon, but every time it seemed like it was going to take off the ground squirrels would come in and eat it. Now I have Bonsai rose of sharon...

African hibiscus does well for me if I plant it from seed outside, but it dies off every fall as soon as the weather begins to cool.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you want some ready to eat hibiscus, I would buy from the store, ask a neighbor, or ask someone on her, many of us grow our own hibiscus,(I have about a dozen myself) you can feed them now if you want to, but I just wouldn't risk it myself.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom you have problems with hibiscus, while I have problems with cactus. :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
If your having a problem with hibiscus try giving it your cold coffee grounds to it because hibiscus needs a acid soil ! And cactus just lay 3 or 4 pads on there side on the ground in about 3weeks it will start to root and stand it up in a pot ( not the smoke kind ) with soil and every week give it a shot of water .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I'm not too worried about waiting on them to detox. I found so many mulberry saplings in my yard plus a an old mature one. I also have about 20 some rose of sharrons I had transplanted from a friends untreated yard. I should be good for a while. I did not realize how much good tort food is on my lil 2 acres! I bought them for a winter food source and was hoping to feed then....now I'm not too sure. I wish I could find an organic green house around here :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So, the government says the food in the markets are safe for folks to eat...well, we know how reliable the government is along with their guidelines....so here is a prime example of what is " allowable" and aok for humans..healthy right? And not at all deceptive;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_egg_production

So, I am just saying...just because the government sets up guidelines does not mean they are done with our best interest at the forefront....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If your having a problem with hibiscus try giving it your cold coffee grounds to it because hibiscus needs a acid soil ! And cactus just lay 3 or 4 pads on there side on the ground in about 3weeks it will start to root and stand it up in a pot ( not the smoke kind ) with soil and every week give it a shot of water .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

LOL if only growing cactus were that easy for all of us! lol