Cleaning Store Bought Live Plants

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Clemente, California
I would like to purchase a hibiscus plant at Trader Joes to feed my Hermann's tortoise the leaves and flowers, in addition to other items. I am assuming those plants have been treated with some type of pesticide as are probably most store bought live plants? What is the best way to wash the leaves prior to feeding them to a tortoise? Is rinsing them in water sufficient?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The poison is systemic. They put the pesticide granules in the soil and the plants absorb it into their tissues. It cannot be rinsed or washed off. It keeps the plants looking very pretty and bug free for market. It takes a year to clear out of the plant, and then I would only feed new growth that grew after one year. I prefer to just start plants from seed or cuttings from mature plants myself.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Great thinking Tom ( I like playing around with plants also !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
The poison is systemic. They put the pesticide granules in the soil and the plants absorb it into their tissues. It cannot be rinsed or washed off. It keeps the plants looking very pretty and bug free for market. It takes a year to clear out of the plant, and then I would only feed new growth that grew after one year. I prefer to just start plants from seed or cuttings from mature plants myself.
Great suggestion Tom, thank you!