Jamaican Hibiscus

sunshyne621

5 Year Member
My local grocery store has dried Jamaican Hibiscus in the produce section. Is this safe for tortoises? I have a red foot that loves regular old fresh hibiscus. I went ahead and bought some. I thought I would soak it and then give it to her. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449526542.789107.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If people are supposed to eat that, I see no reason why your tortoise couldn't have a bit sprinkled over his food too.

W Shaw

I bought some for my guy, but he won't touch it dry or reconstituted. He's a little fussybug, though. He came from a bad situation and I'm trying to introduce him to a healthier diet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I can't see it too well in the pic, but those look like calyxes from African hibiscus. Hibiscus sabdariffa.

I looked up the Jamaican tea on Google and it says that's what it is. Too bad you can't find out where they are growing it and get the leaves. The calyxes are fine to feed out, but the tortoises are truly crazy about the leaves. This is a very good tortoise food and I grow it every year. It does not like the cold. It all dies in fall, even before our first frost. It grows very well all summer long though.