Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseGurl

5 Year Member
She's five years old, marginated, lives in an enclousure with uv lights, I don't know whether to try and get her to hibernate in winter because everyone seems so shocked when I say she doesn't hibernate, but I don't see any point since her enclosure is always 20+ degrees? I mean sure if she lived outside but she doesn't, is there still any point? Would it be harder in later life if she gets too big for her enclosure and moves outside? We live in wet wet wales, it's only sunny like one day a year so I have no idea if she will ever move outside it might be too cold for her?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Many British torts are hibernated, but you don't have to do it. As you say, it's pointless if he lives indoors. Even there you may notice him slow down in the winter months; they do seem to know.

At 5 years old, it should be going outside regularly now. Wet does not matter, only cold.

Joe has a cold frame and a kennel outside. The latter is insulated and has a heat lamp on a timer in it where he can warm up on cooler days.

spoony26

5 Year Member
TortoiseGurl said:
She's five years old, marginated, lives in an enclousure with uv lights, I don't know whether to try and get her to hibernate in winter because everyone seems so shocked when I say she doesn't hibernate, but I don't see any point since her enclosure is always 20+ degrees? I mean sure if she lived outside but she doesn't, is there still any point? Would it be harder in later life if she gets too big for her enclosure and moves outside? We live in wet wet wales, it's only sunny like one day a year so I have no idea if she will ever move outside it might be too cold for her?

Hi I live in Wales also and have 2 margies that live in doors, I hibernate my 2 every year using the fridge method, i usually put them in at the start of Jan then bring them out at the end of March. From everything I read when I got the torts it seems that the general opinion is that if they are a hibernating breed then they should be hibernated so that the dont grow to quickly etc.:)

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bucharest, Romania z6
Spoony,

I look for hearing from people's experiences with hibernating INDOOR kept tortoises. I am very reserved, in fact I am not sure of anything regarding the hardiness of an indoor tortoise and if it can hibernate like a tough, fit outdoor one. You are the only person that I know about doing that- there are maybe more, but not for me.
So, it seems that it works for indoors animals too, but I think that yours are correctly fed and kept. I still doubt that an overfed with wrong items, MBD deformed tortoise etc., will be ok after hibernation...

Congratulations and good luck!

spoony26

5 Year Member
CactusVinnie said:
Spoony,

I look for hearing from people's experiences with hibernating INDOOR kept tortoises. I am very reserved, in fact I am not sure of anything regarding the hardiness of an indoor tortoise and if it can hibernate like a tough, fit outdoor one. You are the only person that I know about doing that- there are maybe more, but not for me.
So, it seems that it works for indoors animals too, but I think that yours are correctly fed and kept. I still doubt that an overfed with wrong items, MBD deformed tortoise etc., will be ok after hibernation...

Congratulations and good luck!

Hi Vinnie

They do go outdoors, but do not sleep outdoors due to the fact I only have a front garden and they would be stolen if they were to stay out overnight. I have 2 margies one is 6 and the other is 5, I have never had issues hibernating them via the fridge method and hopefully never will ;) I am hopefull that they will breed eventually though as I would love to have babies from them :tort::D

kerimarie

5 Year Member
I also live in Wales (south) and for me personally wouldn't dream of "not" hibernating my marginated because of the wealth of goodness it brings to a tortoises health. I use the fridge method. The problem with Internet is people say all sorts. I had my torty from a sanctuary in Hull. With so much experience, it would be so much better to speak to professionals. I once asked a reptile place in Cardiff why the tortoises didn't have a bowl of water. They said because the tortoises have water from their food. Aaaaahhhhh NO!!! My torty lives a drink and drinks from his bowl....... Don't bother going to places like that for advice, what a load of nonsense!!! Check out thetortoiseshop.co.uk for genuinely experienced breeders. Good luck hun xx

kerimarie

5 Year Member
spoony26 said:
Hi Vinnie

They do go outdoors, but do not sleep outdoors due to the fact I only have a front garden and they would be stolen if they were to stay out overnight. I have 2 margies one is 6 and the other is 5, I have never had issues hibernating them via the fridge method and hopefully never will ;) I am hopefull that they will breed eventually though as I would love to have babies from them :tort::D

I never have had a problem with hibernating mine via fridge method. It is very controlled and safe xxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.