1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Hibernation

Discussion in 'Marginated tortoises' started by AesopSlow&Steady, Sep 17, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. AesopSlow&Steady

AesopSlow&Steady New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Inverness
    Apologies if there is lots of information on hibernation on here, I searched for hibernation and nothing came up but that seems incredibly unlikely! I also posted this message three weeks ago and had no replies so trying again!

I have a two year old marginated tortoise. He hasn’t hibernated yet and I wondered what the advise was on this. My question really is if that there is light and warmth and plenty of food - is there a need to hibernate? Does hibernation serve any other purpose other than surviving colder temps and a shortage of food?

Does anyone just not hibernate their tortoises?

He is fussy but eats well and does not deviate from his routine at all - he is incredibly set in his ways and sulks if anything changes, like when I clean out his table.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Location (City and/or State):
    Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Sorry, I don't know anything about the marginated tortoise. But I have allowed my russians to brumate. They are in a dry, cool spot that stays down towards 40F degrees, boxed up in shredded newspaper. I don't have a spare fridge, but I believe the best way to allow tortoise brumation is in the refrigerator.