Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I live in the UK where the weather is miserable, so my 2year horsfield tortoise lives in an indoor enclosure.

I have only owner her for 2weeks now and she is my first tortoise. When I bought her I asked about hibernating and was told she won't hibernate, at least not for another 5years till shes older if she does at all.

Is this true? I want to do the best I can for her. Will it mess her bodily functions up if she doesn't hibernate as it will be natural instinct for her to do so?

I'd appreciate any help given.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Claire:

Refresh my memory...how old is your new tortoise?

My personal experience is:

I don't hibernate turtles and tortoises until they are 3 years old. I feel this gives them a better chance of making it through what I feel is a pretty tough time. However, hatchlings hibernate in the wild. But then again, no one knows how many hatchlings die through the winter in the wild.

I don't hibernate a new animal, no matter what age, until after the first winter with me. I want to get to know my new animal, make sure its heavy enough to last all winter, and to make sure it isn't sick.

A tortoise doesn't need to hibernate in order to be healthy. I have kept Russians up over the winter and they bred successfully and laid eggs just fine. (some people say they need to hibernate in order to breed).

Hibernation is Mother Nature's way to keep a cold blooded animal safe through the cold weather. If you provide heat and light, the tortoise has no need to hibernate.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
She is 2years old, and weighs 150g (weighed her yesterday). She is provided with heat and light.

Thanks that has set my mind at rest, I was worrying as alot of the information I have found whilst reserching the topic is confusing. I'm glad I won't have to hibernate as I think I would constantly worry if she was ok!!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Tortoise species that hibernate in nature will do so in captivity if conditions are such that they need to, regardless of age or size.

As Yvonne said, your tortoise does not need to hibernate in order to be healthy. Hibernation is a mechanism that tortoises (and other animals) use in the wild in order to escape cold weather when food is not available and temperatures aren't warm enough for them to be active. In captivity they can be kept indoors and active by keeping light duration and temperatures within their enclosure at a level that will allow them to remain active. Along with this, normal food levels should also be maintained.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
So you don't need to hibernate any tortoises (greeks?) in order for them to be happy, healthy and active?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nope, you sure don't. But some tortoises recognize the change in the season and its hard to keep them up, even with heat and light mimicking summer conditions.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
Ok I thought they would be fine never hibernate, just hibernating them made them healthier and have a better chance of living longer.
Well ok makes me feel better about not hibernating them!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I think you will find that tort keepers, particularly in the UK, often feel hibernation is necessary. It works for them.
Keeping a tort in captivity means they don't have the environmental stresses and need to survive, so they don't need to hibernate to be healthy.
If you ever consider hibernation, it is better to avoid until your tort is older and you have more experience. A lot of people don't hibernate their torts and they have done well for years and years.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
Yeah Hermy my Greek tortoise is less than a year old and he is my first tort so I am defenatly not hibernating him.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Tinkerbell is only 2 year old, so I guess I'll get to know her better over the years and then consider hibernating if neccessary. Because she is my 1st tort I would be sooo nervous about hibernating her, I love her so much.

Thanks for your input guys.

Oh and, Tyler0912, Wales isn't that great.... weather is so miserable :(

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Tinkerbell i live in blackburn north west im use to bad weather haha....never nice here! :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I look at it this way - not hibernating will not hurt them one bit. However, if you do hibernate, things can go wrong and your tortoise can get sick or die. It isn't worth the risk to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.