Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

froggy

5 Year Member
Hiya guys just a quick question I have a marginated tortoise and last year I did hibernate him/her cus of age got told not to by the breeder now he/her us around one and a half and I'm confused wether he/her needs to be any help would bd greatly appreciated :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
froggy said:
Hiya guys just a quick question I have a marginated tortoise and last year I did hibernate him/her cus of age got told not to by the breeder now he/her us around one and a half and I'm confused wether he/her needs to be any help would bd greatly appreciated :)

Absolutely optional...mine are never hibernated and remain perfectly healthy.

The advantages of allowing them to remain awake is that we can monitor their health daily, thereby catching problems earlier AND we get to enjoy them year 'round.

The disadvantages of hibernating our tortoises that we can't monitor their health daily NOR enjoy them year 'round, and that a certain number of hibernating tortoises will get sick, injured or die while hibernating, no matter what we do. This happens to wild tortoises, as well...in the wild, though, we call it "the Circle of Life"...in the case of pet tortoises, we call it a tragedy.

Just my $0.02...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
froggy said:
Thank you is urs a marg ?

No, Eastern Hermann's, which are very similar in all ways, care-wise. Intend to get some Margs eventually, along with some more Iberians...always liked European tortoises best. :cool:

froggy

5 Year Member
Cool thanks again for your help I really appreciate ur help n advice ! :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
froggy said:
Cool thanks again for your help I really appreciate ur help n advice ! :)

Happy to be of help...it's what we do here! :cool:

ascott said:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Is-Hibernation-Absolutely-Required#axzz24Zp1OYT9

I still find this to be an informative (share of thoughts and opinion that is) thread and thought I would share it here.

I personally think the more educated and well rounded we can get, the more our captive torts will benefit....:D

Oh, and you will see how diverse and debatable a topic this one simple word can generate.... ;)

Indeed! :)

Aretino

5 Year Member
Oh, and you will see how diverse and debatable a topic this one simple word can generate.... ;)

I was just reading the Colorado Reptile Humane Society's (http://www.corhs.org/) hibernation guide and came across this rather alarming paragraph:

"While skipping hibernation for a year or two may not result in an observable decline in health, over many years they may become immunocompromised and suffer from increased susceptibility to a variety of ailments. Also, hibernation is necessary to maintain normal hormone activity in the body, especially in the thyroid. Veterinarians, scientists, and turtle-lovers agree: hibernation will allow your turtle a longer and healthier life."

My small Greek tortoise, which I rescued from a city street this September, and I am housing in a 2 x 4 foot enclosure, has recently become much quieter after being very active and lively. She spends more time in her hide, previously ignored. But she is still interested in her food and can be quite lively if aroused by an intruding hand or new food items. She prefers to bask and doze in the warm part of the enclosure, though, at about 75-80 degrees, and does not seem inclined to seek out the cooler parts of the enclosure or try to burrow. Apart from quieting down, she seems quite healthy.

My inclination is to leave well enough alone for now.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Aretino said:

I was just reading the Colorado Reptile Humane Society's (http://www.corhs.org/) hibernation guide and came across this rather alarming paragraph:

"While skipping hibernation for a year or two may not result in an observable decline in health, over many years they may become immunocompromised and suffer from increased susceptibility to a variety of ailments. Also, hibernation is necessary to maintain normal hormone activity in the body, especially in the thyroid. Veterinarians, scientists, and turtle-lovers agree: hibernation will allow your turtle a longer and healthier life."

My small Greek tortoise, which I rescued from a city street this September, and I am housing in a 2 x 4 foot enclosure, has recently become much quieter after being very active and lively. She spends more time in her hide, previously ignored. But she is still interested in her food and can be quite lively if aroused by an intruding hand or new food items. She prefers to bask and doze in the warm part of the enclosure, though, at about 75-80 degrees, and does not seem inclined to seek out the cooler parts of the enclosure or try to burrow. Apart from quieting down, she seems quite healthy.

That article is utilizing very out-of-date opinions...it's now known by most herpetologists that there are no negative health issues connected to not brumating your tortoises.

Aretino

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
Aretino said:

That article is utilizing very out-of-date opinions...it's now known by most herpetologists that there are no negative health issues connected to not brumating your tortoises.

Taking a second look, they may be referring more specifically to box turtles. Thanks for your opinion. For purely selfish reasons, I'd like to enjoy Dinette's company through the winter, and don't want to subject her to brumating indoors if it's not necessary.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Aretino said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
Aretino said:

Taking a second look, they may be referring more specifically to box turtles. Thanks for your opinion. For purely selfish reasons, I'd like to enjoy Dinette's company through the winter, and don't want to subject her to brumating indoors if it's not necessary.

Nothing selfish about wanting to take the very best care of your pet(s) you possibly can...

Again, the advantages of allowing them to remain awake is that we can monitor their health daily, thereby catching problems earlier AND we get to enjoy them year 'round.

The disadvantages of hibernating our tortoises that we can't monitor their health daily NOR enjoy them year 'round, and that a certain number of hibernating tortoises will get sick, injured or die while hibernating, no matter what we do. This happens to wild tortoises, as well...in the wild, though, we call it "the Circle of Life"...in the case of pet tortoises, we call it a tragedy.

Aretino

5 Year Member

My notion Dinette was experiencing some mysterious urge to hibernate turns out to have been pretty fanciful. It appears she was merely a bit constipated, and now having shifted her bowels, has returned to her former feistiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.