Hibernation

OrdHall

Location (City and/or State)
Surrey UK
Hi, I have a 20mth Greek Marginated Tortoise living indoors in a tortoise table, he took himself off into hibernation on 12 November, the indoor temperature where he lives is around 8-10degrees. He has been asleep since 12 November, I check on him once per week and he was buried in his bedding in the darkened end with a lid of his table. I change his water every day just in case he wakes up for a drink (if they do such a thing?) I don't disturb him as his water bowl is in the larger part of the table, when I opened the sleeping compartment today he was perched on top of a pile of his bedding and his head and front legs were poking out, I gently touched his shell, there was a slow reaction and his eyes were open, the temperature has remained the same throughout. Is this normal behaviour when young tortoises go into hibernation? Should I just leave him well alone? Should I bring him out of his short hibernation (its been approx. 39days). I bought him in March 2016 and he weighed 55grams, he had nearly doubled his weight from 55grams to 98grams when he went into hibernation. I have read that hibernation is normal for tortoises and is good for their health and general well-being, but is 39days enough for a 20mth old tortoise? If anyone has any advice I would greatly accept it please, I don't want to make any mistakes at the start of what I hope will prove to be a long, happy and healthy life for my tortoise.
Thanks H

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would go ahead and warm up the environment for him. Bring him out and give him a nice long soak then put him back under the light.

OrdHall

Surrey UK
I would go ahead and warm up the environment for him. Bring him out and give him a nice long soak then put him back under the light.
Hi Yvonne, thanks very much, having never hibernated a tortoise before, do I put him in for a soak before going under the lamp? Is this the best way to get him moving and properly awake and then put him under the lamp? Then will things resume as normal, ie the lamp being on for 12hrs, salad leaves in his food bowl and water in his bowl and he will then resume normal activity and take himself off to sleep each night? is it quite normal for such a short hibernation at this time of year? I will follow your instructions in the morning and will weigh him and let you know how we get on. how often should I give him a soak once he's awake at this time of year? I used to soak him every other day during the summer.
thanks H