Hibernation in the UK 2023

LMurray

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Hi everyone,
I need some help and hoping someone can help me!

My Hermann’s tortoise, Chuck, is around 15 years old and we have been hibernating him for many years now. He lives in my garden when he is awake as he likes to be alone and take himself off for some quiet. Any enclosures I have ever put him in, he has broken out of them! On a few occasions, he has hibernated himself in the garden because he’s gone before we’ve had a chance to grab him (he’s very stubborn!)

This year, we managed to bring him in and we have started the process of getting him ready for hibernation (as we thought it’d be getting cooler in the UK but we thought wrong)…! He’s stopped eating and is no longer passing anything, but it’s clearly not as cold as he is used to when we usually put him in, in September.

My question is, shall I put him back outside and start the hibernating process again in a few weeks or shall I continue with the process but then it will be too warm for him in his box? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!IMG_3551.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome!

I promise we will get to the "hibernation" info, but start here first, and look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom. I guarantee you will learn a few things you did not know that will help you be a better tortoise keeper.

Here is the brumation info: