Hi table help please :)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405089858.171146.jpg

Hi everyone, we have had Mo for a few months now in a Viv today we got his new home :)
Does it look ok??
Any advice please, thank you

jaredherman

5 Year Member
I would add some live plants and it also looks kinda small for him. Just my opinion:)

Plants are next on the list :)
This is just his "play" bit his bed isn't in the picture that's quite a good size.
Do you think it will be ok

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I also think it is a bit too small, even with the bed, unless you have an outside space for him during the day to exercise. What are the white dots in his substrate?

They are little stones, I got a mix from the shop it has soil and sand.
I saw on a site that the length should be 8x his length and the width should be 4x his width??
Has anyone else heard of that or is it rubbish?? X

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have heard that as well & this is prob ok since he is small still. Once he grows I would deff get something bigger. This guys like room to roam. I would worry about those rocks though..... For some reason torts like to eat small white things. I have had this issue multi times with multi torts.

Ok will try and sort the stones out ASAP thank you for pointing that out.
We have only brought the table today :( and was told it would be fine for a very long time.
Will see how he goes and get a bigger one when he is a bit bigger, also working on an outside area for him for the warmer days, being in England it's not a lot but we will be better than nothing xx

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Yeah, you're definitely going to need a bigger table. When I got my Hermann's, Elsa, she was 4 inches long and I made her table 4 ft by 3 ft. It was only useful for about a year.

Tortoises feels safest and most secure when they can hide. Elsa LOVES to half-burrow under plants to hide. She also buries herself COMPLETELY in her substrate sometimes! I'd make sure your substrate is about 4 inches deep all over so your tort can bury himself. :)

Thank you for your help, I'm so annoyed as they said it will last a long time and we only got it yesterday.
It's at 5in at the moment and he seems to like his new home, iv never seen him dig yet or any signs that he has tried too.
He is 9 1/2 cm at the moment

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
He's a good size- well past that hatchling stage that's so fragile! :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Sand could cause impaction too, if he swallows some. coco coir is great, but it shouldn't be a problem if Mo isn't eating his dirt :D