New tortoise

Princessamy92

hi guys!
My names Amy I'm new to the website I've had my hermanns milo for about 3 months now,
Today I introduced Cleo to the viv, a new hermanns I purchased today to be with milo
They got along great at first but I've noticed that milo keeps nipping Cleos feet, is this normal? I was told milo was actually a girl not a boy but he/she has mounted Cleo a few times
Both hatched in 2014
Will the nipping of the toes stop once milo is used to having a new friend around?

Princessamy92

Both are eating a lot and are active and toileting well, and Cleo doesn't seem to flinch when milo decides to chew on her nails just a bit concerned any advice :)
Thanks!

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hi Amy and welcome to the forum!
Unfortunately it isn't recommended you keep tortoises in pairs usually because bullying happens and it's not always obvious, so would recommend you separate them as soon as you can. Tortoises in the wild don't mix in groups and if they see each other in the wild they either fight or mate then go on there seperate ways!
Also regarding the sex you would need to wait another couple of years before your little guys can be sexed correctly, 12 months isn't long enough I'm afraid but time will tell :)

You should read the care sheets if you haven't done so already - they are really handy

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hello and welcome. Tortoises are solitary and territorial. Pairs are a bad idea. They will be happier and healthier in separate enclosures.

Princessamy92

Yes they have separate enclosures, like a two storey one but just happens when I exercise them together, shall I avoid putting them in contact with eachother completely?
Thanks for help,

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Yes they have separate enclosures, like a two storey one but just happens when I exercise them together, shall I avoid putting them in contact with eachother completely?
Thanks for help,
Yes I would recommend having them seperate

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Ditto to what the others have said.
You may not notice anything but it will be very stressful for them.
The one is thinking he has a rival and the other is being bullied.
Also when another tort is introduced into a group it is usually quarantined
to make sure it isn't carrying anything that could make the others ill.
But welcome to the forum.
There is lots of info here from many experienced keepers who
only have the best interests of your torts at heart.
If you can follow all advice as closely as possible you will have happy healthy torts
for the rest of your life!

Last edited:

Princessamy92

Thank you for all advice, just so confusing as everyone you speak to has a different opinion
My neighbour has a lovely pair of 40 year old hermanns who have always lived together and been absolutely fine!
But will not exercise this pair together again as per advice
Thanks everyone

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Please post pics of your torts as well as their enclosures asap.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Amy, and welcome to the Forum!

There are always exceptions to every rule, but as a general rule of thumb, tortoises are territorial and they don't want other tortoises in their territory. Adding a new tortoise to any existing tortoise's territory may result in fighting, or it may be what I refer to as "Mental Bullying." With the mental thing you, the keeper, don't see any overt fighting, but the aggressor will tell the more timid tortoise to get out of the territory. The timid tortoise may end up hiding all the time and not eating well.

If you have them in a large, well planted outdoor habitat it could work out. And experienced keepers DO keep more than one tortoise in the same habitat. But you should gain some experience first before you try it.