hi, iv just joined

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellnnorm

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wollaston, uk
hi i hav jus joined this site, i hav a horsefield tortoise called norman, iv had him almost a year now, he is great!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi shellnnorm:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

shellnnorm

5 Year Member
wollaston, uk
hi my name is shell i live in wollaston, iv had norman my horsefield a year nw n think he is awesum :) if u hav any tips on how 2 keep him happy n healthy n keep him occupied so not bored il b more than grateful! :) x

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Welcome to the forum, Shell! Whereabout is Wollaston, if you don't mind my asking?

Is that Norman in your avatar? He's a very nice-looking tortoise! Horsfields (also called Russians) are one of my 2 favorite species of tortoise.. I have 3 of them! :)

If you're looking for tips to keep him happy and healthy, you're in the right place. Luckily, Horsfields are also one of the easiest tortoises to care for, very hardy and managably sized, so keeping them happy and healthy isn't too tough.

I've found, with my Russians, the easiest way to keep them happy is to give them a big space with plenty of hiding places, a deep substrate, and the right temperatures. My three's favorite hiding places are their man-made burrows... For example, on one side of their enclosure, I have a big half log buried at an angle in 8 inches of dirt, so one end is above ground and the other end touches the bottom. They love it!

shellnnorm

5 Year Member
wollaston, uk
yeah tht is norman in my avatar, enjoyin a bath :) he seems to jus relax in ther :) i need t get more bedding 4 him, he has woodchip n cocanut chuns/shavings(his fave) he wasnt 2 keen on the sand. wollaston is in the uk, so norman dusnt c much ov the outside world :( he had a few hours on a couple of occasions bt thts all :/

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Well that's a shame on the outdoor time. I used to live in an area that gets similar weather to the UK, coastal Washington here in the states. Overcast, dreary, wet. Definitely not basking weather for our torts! Luckily, Russians are very cold tolerant. I had 2 back then, and was still able to take them out to run around when it was at least 65F and dry. So long as they always had a nice, warm heat lamp to come back inside to, they loved the chance to go outside and graze.

shellnnorm

5 Year Member
wollaston, uk
he has been out a few times, and he will agen wen it warms up, i hav an old guinea pig run tht i put him under he loves findin dandelion leaves n grass, but not wen i put them in the tank 4 him! lol! i hav a problem ov cats thinkin my garden is their toilets so hav t b really careful ther aswel! if u no any ways of keepin cats out il b more than grateful!! means he wudnt hav t go under the run all the time :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I'm sorry, I hate to be a bother, but I'm having trouble understanding your posts with the chat speak and weird spellings...

As for cats... Ummm... Get a dog? Lol! I've always grown up with dogs, so I've never had a problem with cats in the yard. They hate it when there's another animal in their yard, and waste no time chasing them away! Sorry, I guess I don't have any practical ideas.. :p

shellnnorm

5 Year Member
wollaston, uk
sorry, im very lazy with typing, i'l try not to! i would love to have a dog but we arent allowed 1, we not suposed to have the pets we have, 2corn snakes, 2 leopard geckos and norman, so quite lucky to get away with them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.