Hi! I'm bareyb and this is my little friend Yoda

bareyb

Location (City and/or State)
Silicon Valley, CA
Hi everyone! So glad I found this forum! We have a Russian Tortoise named Yoda. She's about 8 inches in diameter and has a face only a Mother could love! But we love her and we'd like to learn more about her so we can make her life as comfortable as possible.

She came to us as a "Pet" for my daughter from Petco. We bought the usual tiny enclosure and heat lamp and she began living in my daughter's room. One day we decided to take her out to the backyard and let her stretch her legs a little bit. Well... After that she continually would bang her head against the sides of her enclosure and want to get out. So the trips to the backyard became more frequent as she really seemed to love it out there.

Long story short, you guessed it, she escaped. We thought we'd lost her but about 6 months later she reappeared! She'd apparently been hibernating and living under our back Deck. In the mean time we did a little research, and is it really true that the "heat lamps" they use on Tortoises is to force them to stay awake so they can't hibernate???? Between that and the tiny little plastic cage, we just couldn't bring ourselves to put her back inside. So I tightened up the perimeter of our yard and she's been living out there for the last 3 years and has hibernated 3 times. Our climate seems to be ideal for her. from what I've read, and our very large deck seems to be a good shelter for her in the Winter. We live in Silicon Valley, California by the way.

QUESTION: So now the reason I'm here. We are thinking about getting her a "friend". Another Russian Tortoise. The problem is, I don't know if that would make her happy or stress her out with another animal in "her space" like that. The redwood deck she lives under is huge. So space is not an issue.

So what do you think? Get her a friend or leave her in peace? She is not particularly interactive or friendly. I'd characterize her as a bit of a grump. But damn, I love this stupid thing. She went missing for a couple of days last week when she was shedding and my wife and actually shed a Tear of relief when we found her again. I'd posted flyers all over the neighborhood that I now have to go take back down! Lol. Can't believe how attached I am. So I really want to do what will make her the happiest. I am open to any and all suggestions that would make her life better as an outdoor Tortoise. Please feel free to ask me anything that would help Yoda. :)

Zl1bKR74QpopJoRV02RL2SDsecDT6q.png

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I don't know anything about Russian torts, but Yoda is super cute! Oh and welcome to the forum!!:tort:

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Tortoises are generally solitary. Female Russians are okay in groups but every individual is different. If she seems like a grump by herself, she may not "want" company. Pairs, regardless of sex, are not recommended.

bareyb

Silicon Valley, CA
Tortoises are generally solitary. Female Russians are okay in groups but every individual is different. If she seems like a grump by herself, she may not "want" company. Pairs, regardless of sex, are not recommended.
Thank you so much! My gut feeling was that it would just upset her. I'm glad to have finally been able to confirm that.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Female Russians are not even always okay in groups. They can still bully each other. Solo is the best way to go

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437089553.877178.jpg
Dogs and cats do great in pairs but torts do better in trio' s but here is a pict that says it allImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437089715.838901.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Bareyb and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Yoda.
You've already been told all you need to know about your question, Yoda will be much happier alone.
Nice looking tort.

squirtthetortandfriends50

5 Year Member
torts normaly dont like other torts. they will fight or if u have a male and a female the male will constantly "mate" with the female and it will kill her. not a good idea to put em together

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yeah pairs don't do well so if your going to get more you'll need like two or three more so you have a small heard. You want like one male and the rest chicks. Are you sure about the sex of your tort?

bareyb

Silicon Valley, CA
Yeah pairs don't do well so if your going to get more you'll need like two or three more so you have a small heard. You want like one male and the rest chicks. Are you sure about the sex of your tort?
Well as sure as I can be from reading on the Internet. She has a pretty short tail and from what we've read, the males have a much larger one. Beyond that, I have no idea. Which brings up another question... should we be bringing her to a Vet for checkups and such? I've thought about doing that, but she's not fond of being carried around, so we have just let her be.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Well as sure as I can be from reading on the Internet. She has a pretty short tail and from what we've read, the males have a much larger one. Beyond that, I have no idea. Which brings up another question... should we be bringing her to a Vet for checkups and such? I've thought about doing that, but she's not fond of being carried around, so we have just let her be.

Up to you. Some do annual check ups but I don't. I consider myself a more advanced keeper (thanks to all the knowledge I've learned from the board) and have a pretty good feel for the problems that can go wrong with these guys and what the early warning signs are so I just take mine when needed. It would be a good idea to take a fresh poop sample to the vet once a year for inspection for parasites and worms. My vet charges $25-30 since it's just the poop and not an animal visit.
If she's got a short stubby tail then it's most likely a female. Some are more grumpy than others but if you handle her more often she should come around a little bit.

squirtthetortandfriends50

5 Year Member
if he has a hole that looks like this * its a girl. if he has a hole that looks like this | its a boy. the hole is on the under side of the tale