Adopted a stray Russian tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandarcat

5 Year Member
Hi! (Sorry, this is a long post!)
I live in Wisconsin, and was very surprised a few weeks ago to find a non-native tortoise living under our deck. It took me a while to identify her, but I'm pretty sure we have an adult female Russian tortoise. Her shell is about 10 inches long. I have no idea where she came from or how she ended up under our deck!Turtle.JPG

We watched her for a couple of weeks, and she would come out in the morning to bask in the sun. Then she'd head off into the woods behind our house to forage. Around 4pm we'd see her heading back across the yard, and she'd spend the night under our deck (presumably in a burrow). She seemed to be doing pretty well for herself, but this is Wisconsin, and I was afraid she would not survive the winter. I know Russian tortoises hibernate, but she'd have to burrow 42 inches down to get below the frost line here, and our soil is mostly clay.

So, now we have a pet tortoise. My son named her Sasha. She is currently living in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tote with a mix of sand and coir bedding. I have a heat lamp on a timer but haven't gotten a UV lamp yet. We are still having a few warm days, so I have been putting her out in my fenced garden when it's nice enough. I have raised garden beds so she can't get to all the plants, but I have seen her eating kale, dandelions, a summer squash, part of the zucchini plant, and her favorite, squash blossoms. She seems to be really attracted to yellow things. In the house I am feeding her kale, dandelions, clover, and plantain, since I can still get weeds outside.

Is there a place I can get seeds to grow some of these weeds indoors once the weather gets colder? I can keep getting her greens from the grocery store, but would like to grow some food too.

Also, she is active and eating well, but she has a cut in the side of her beak. It doesn't seem to bother her and doesn't look infected. I assume there isn't anything I need to do about that, it will eventually grow out on its own?

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:)

I would never think of that in Wisconsin. :D. It is of course someone's lost pet. Russians are know. For being escape artist. You should put postings up in your area for a lost tortoise. Don't say what kind, let them describe it. Then if it's not claimed, keep her.
In the mean time. Be sure to have very little to no sand. Sand can cause impactions. Be sure to have water available 24/7 and do a soak about once a week in warm water for 20-30 minutes. Her diet sounds great and the UVB light is not needed until she can't go outside any more. As for seeds, check out tortoisesupply.com
Good luck

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Fun find....also, the beak is a bit long/overgrown so if you can offer food on a slate tile it will help to trim the beak down...

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
chandarcat said:
I live in Wisconsin, and was very surprised a few weeks ago to find a non-native tortoise living under our deck. It took me a while to identify her, but I'm pretty sure we have an adult female Russian tortoise. Her shell is about 10 inches long. I have no idea where she came from or how she ended up under our deck!

We watched her for a couple of weeks, and she would come out in the morning to bask in the sun. Then she'd head off into the woods behind our house to forage. Around 4pm we'd see her heading back across the yard, and she'd spend the night under our deck (presumably in a burrow). She seemed to be doing pretty well for herself, but this is Wisconsin, and I was afraid she would not survive the winter. I know Russian tortoises hibernate, but she'd have to burrow 42 inches down to get below the frost line here, and our soil is mostly clay.

So, now we have a pet tortoise. My son named her Sasha. She is currently living in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tote with a mix of sand and coir bedding. I have a heat lamp on a timer but haven't gotten a UV lamp yet. We are still having a few warm days, so I have been putting her out in my fenced garden when it's nice enough. I have raised garden beds so she can't get to all the plants, but I have seen her eating kale, dandelions, a summer squash, part of the zucchini plant, and her favorite, squash blossoms. She seems to be really attracted to yellow things. In the house I am feeding her kale, dandelions, clover, and plantain, since I can still get weeds outside.

Is there a place I can get seeds to grow some of these weeds indoors once the weather gets colder? I can keep getting her greens from the grocery store, but would like to grow some food too.

Also, she is active and eating well, but she has a cut in the side of her beak. It doesn't seem to bother her and doesn't look infected. I assume there isn't anything I need to do about that, it will eventually grow out on its own?

Ok, for a Newbie you're doing everything right. WOW, have you done this before?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...I love your story... I would do as suggested. Maybe put up some flyers, see if someone is missing their pet tort. If not then i would keep it. So far you are doing a fantastic job..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

chandarcat

5 Year Member
fbsmith3 said:
chandarcat said:
I live in Wisconsin, and was very surprised a few weeks ago to find a non-native tortoise living under our deck. It took me a while to identify her, but I'm pretty sure we have an adult female Russian tortoise. Her shell is about 10 inches long. I have no idea where she came from or how she ended up under our deck!

Ok, for a Newbie you're doing everything right. WOW, have you done this before?

Well, I haven't had a tortoise yet, but I worked in pet stores and vet clinics for 10+ years before I had kids. I have had numerous varied pets, but my only previous reptile was a Sinoloan Milk Snake. The tortoise is easier to feed!

chandarcat

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:)

I would never think of that in Wisconsin. :D. It is of course someone's lost pet. Russians are know. For being escape artist. You should put postings up in your area for a lost tortoise. Don't say what kind, let them describe it. Then if it's not claimed, keep her.
In the mean time. Be sure to have very little to no sand. Sand can cause impactions. Be sure to have water available 24/7 and do a soak about once a week in warm water for 20-30 minutes. Her diet sounds great and the UVB light is not needed until she can't go outside any more. As for seeds, check out tortoisesupply.com
Good luck

I did look for signs and checked Craigslist and the newspaper a number of times. (I was surprised to see several lost Russian tortoises on Craigslist, but the closest to me was more than 10 miles away). I assume Sasha did not travel THAT far before taking up residence under our deck. I'm thinking she was more likely released than escaped. It sucks that people do that, but you know they do...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I think that happens (people getting tired of the tortoise and releasing it) happens fairly often.
Good for you to take her in!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. Now that we know how good you are in taking care of a tort you never had, let's see how good you are at providing updates and plenty of pics of your new friend:p

sulcalcifer

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Wisconsin
Hello! I also live in Wisconsin and actually have a friend who found a lost russian as well! Must be an epidemic here haha Seems like she ended up in the perfect yard! :)

chandarcat

5 Year Member
sulcalcifer said:
Hello! I also live in Wisconsin and actually have a friend who found a lost russian as well! Must be an epidemic here haha Seems like she ended up in the perfect yard! :)

That's what several of my friends said! I've had many pets over the years. I'm currently down to 3 cats, 4 guppies and 1 tortoise. Oh, and a husband and 3 sons :).

Status
Not open for further replies.