Hi... I am the new mom With lots of questions.

rachel__78

jake 1.jpgjake 2.jpgjake 3.jpg
Hey Y'all! We are a Georgia Family with 3 kids, a dog, and now a Russian tortoise Named Jake. We got him from our local pet store. We were told he was about a year old and a male. After looking at these threads, I am thinking he may be older than a year old. HA HA.
He is 5 inches long on his shell from front to back.
Im also wondering if he is really a he or maybe a she.
And... can you tell if he was really captive bred, or wild caught.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

~Rachel :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Hi..

Hi Rachel:

Welcome to the Forum!

I answered your questions in your other thread in the Russian section.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
new mom With lots of questions.

Hi Rachel and welcome! It's an adult and looks wild caught. Does that tail end right there or is part of it hidden under the plastron (bottom shell) How big of an aquarium (looks like that's what it is in the last picture) do you have him in? I personally don't like the choice of substrate. I see a hide and water dish... do you have lights too?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Hi Rachel. Welcome to TFO. Jake is actually a female so perhaps Jackie would be a more fitting name? Lol

rachel__78

RE: new mom With lots of questions.

Jacqui said:
Hi Rachel and welcome! It's an adult and looks wild caught. Does that tail end right there or is part of it hidden under the plastron (bottom shell) How big of an aquarium (looks like that's what it is in the last picture) do you have him in? I personally don't like the choice of substrate. I see a hide and water dish... do you have lights too?

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes, she has 2 types of lighting. heat bulb and uv bulb. I will burry her water dish down more. Thanks for that suggestion. Its a 50 gallon terrium tank. Its wider than tall. She has lots of room in here. What kind of substrate would you recommend? Im open to anything. Im trying to learn all I can.

rachel__78

Thanks for all your replies. I cant believe HE is a SHE. lol. I made a couple mistakes... 1. I bought from Petsmart. I honestly didn't know where else to get one though. 2. I believed the lady at the petstore telling me it was a boy and was about a year old. I should have known right away. I feel badly this little gal was wild caught. I wonder how long she has been in captivity. I wish she could talk and tell me all about her adventures. One things for sure... I spoil everything in this house. So, this gal will get it all. I just need to know what to get. :)

rachel__78

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Hello Rachel welcome to the TFO from AZ
Nice looking wild RT

I LOVE Arizona... My husband is Army, and we lived at Fort Huachuca by Sierra Vista. Loved it out there!!! Perfect place for a turtle.