Lots of questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Hi Y'all!
I have been doing a TON of reading and though my head is spinning, my family is still interested in caring for a tortoise!
Just a little background: We currently have a beardie, corn snake and two leopard geckos. We know about the importance of UVB, supplements, proper diet, etc. We are happy and willing to go the extra mile as far as building custom homes for our herps, ordering quality food, etc. Been there, still doing that. :) I am a tireless researcher and I am only interested in providing the BEST quality of life for the critters we add to the family. I am a member of multiple specific reptile forums to prove it...ha! We are in it for the long haul. I am used to providing for the specific needs of reptiles. I have a big backyard, 2300+ sqft, and I live in the Dallas, TX area. I have made my kids sign documents saying they will care for the tortoise, since it will outlive us...

Questions:
- I want the tortoise to live outside for most of the year. I have read that leopards have the best temp range. Is that correct?
-If I provide a heated, insulated outside enclosure, do I still have to bring them inside during the winter? We have a big yard, but the house is small. Especially with the other reptile enclosures...
A garage situation would possibly work.
-If you live in Dallas, and keep tortoises outside year round, or mostly year round, what species do you have?
- I am reading Tom's threads about humidity/temps/pyramiding/overall health. If I plan to keep our future tortoise outside, I'm not super sure about how to provide the humidity. I have been to Kelly Hull's Tortoise Sanctuary, which is awesome btw, and he has misters set up around his forest species. Also, am I wrong? Does the humidity only need to be high for babies? If so, at what point is the humidity not an issue for desert torts, like sulcatas and leopards?
-We were interested in sulcatas first, but there is so much out there touting all of their "negative traits"-- size, burrowing, massive poops. Then, I see TONS of people with them...as pets. What is the real deal? If they are that terrible, why do so many people, on this forum to be exact, keep them? Is there just a movement to discourage people from buying them because they don't know all of these things already?
I would like to say that I am soooo sorry if this is a dreaded re-hash of similar subjects. I have searched this site, but I haven't quite found the answers I'm looking for.
Thanks for your time!
-Mandy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome Mandy. It's a re-hash, but its not dreaded at all. Your questions are all good ones and demonstrate a clear understanding of what you are getting into. The two species you are interested in are two of my favorites, so I will happily field your questions.

1. Not sure what you mean by "best temp range", but however I try to define that, leopards are not it. Any of the Testudo species will tolerate a wide range of temps. Sulcatas can survive a wide range too. Leopards can be more sensitive to correct temps than some, but with a well built, insulated and temp controlled shed or night box, they should be fine living outdoors in TX. Mind you, I'm speaking about adults or large juveniles. Babies are a different story. I'd keep them inside in a closed chamber with easy to maintain correct temps and humidity and put them outside in a safe enclosure for a couple hours a day during fair weather. The older and bigger they get, the more hours per day I will leave them outside.
2. If your box is built correctly, adults can live outside year round. Keep them warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
3. I don't live in Dallas, but I've kept sulcatas, leopards, desert tortoises and a few others outside over the years.
4. Sulcatas and leopards are NOT desert torts. Still, humidity is not an issue for sulcatas once they hit about 8". Don't know where that number is for leopards. I'm now trying out adding humidity to their warm outdoor night boxes. So far so good.
5. Sulcatas are a fantastic species. Love them. Responsible keepers and breeders just want everyone contemplating getting one to have a realistic idea of what they are really getting into. They can be very destructive to landscaping and they can undermine foundations and structures with their digging. They often get huge, especially males, and this can present serious logistical issues for most people. On the other hand, their size, appearance and personalities are some of their best attributes and the reason I like them so much.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Yipes. Looks like I need to go back and do more research if I called sulcatas and leopards desert tortoises, which they are not. Confidence blown. Don't think this will be happening for us anytime soon. Thanks for the patience and the replies!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Welcome to the forum. Tom has already provided answers for Leopards. I am raising three adult leopards in Houston and they live outside 9 months of the year. I've been keeping them in a pen in the garage during winter. I grew up in Dallas and can verify it gets darn HOT there in the summer. mine love the heat so that's not a real problem, but we usually have more humidity here. I can't remember if it is very humid there or not. Winters there are colder, so you will have to prepare for that because they won't do well under 60 degrees. I'm talking about adults too, like Tom said. young ones (under 4 or 5 years) will not handle the cold weather at all outside. They are great torts, not as friendly and outgoing as sulcatas, but not as big or damaging either. Ask away if you have more questions because it is better to find out now than after you have picked one up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) It's not as hard as you might be thinking it is. I live in Chicago, Illinois. Cold, snowy winters. If you have the want and means ($$$) you can provide for any tort you want, and this site will make it all much easier.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
I looked into Russians, but a breeder told me those are not good for beginners, eventhough they are hardy, because they carry herpes and other diseases that other tortoises don't. When I looked it up, it says Greeks and Russians both do bc they are still being wild caught. I also saw that any species could carry herpes, but those two species are just more likely to.
When I look up info on Leopards it says their temp range is 50-100. That's what I meant by best, just the widest temp range. It can get down to the teens here in winter (not this winter) and up into the 100s in summer. Obviously, I would provide a warm enclosure for the winter, and there is lots of shade for the summer, but I want them to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible.
I'm definitely feeling like this is hard. It's really just all the specific needs of each tortoise vs my climate. Maybe it's just that I am used to the indoor reptile, where I control the climate of their enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.