Hi all.

Hi guys,

We am new to this all.
Me and my good lady are looking at getting a Hermann tortoise soon, I'm planning on building the table myself and are looking for any hints and tips, what size, material etc.

Also any advice to new tortoise owners?

Many thanks all.

D&E

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Howdy! I am rather new to tortoises too. I have had my Hermann's since February. I opted for the cypress mulch and I am quite happy with it. It holds moisture well, is easy to clean/keep clean and looks nice.

My Hermann's buries in it without issue although I thought it looked a little uncomfortable for her.

In her outside enclosure I mixed cypress mulch with peat. Also a nice mix and easier for her to dig in...but messier. So I think I will stick with the cypress mulch for indoors. Outside it doesn't matter to me.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Welcome! Cypress mulch sounds good, and coconut coir is also a good option. (Also known as coconut husk). From the description above, it sounds about the same as cypress mulch.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I would definitely not recommend the play sand. It gives them eye problems when they try to dig, and if they eat the sand (mine eats dirt), then it can cause and impacted gut problem. :( I'd stick with some kind of dirt.
How's the table building going?

Rue

Canada
I agree with GingerLove. Although some people do use sand...it is not recommended. The other options are less problematic and retain humidity better.

Ahhh ok, that's sound not good, I was recommended ProRep Tortoise Life Substrate, so shall I stay away from that?

Build is planned and materials are brought just need a day off to do it now :)

I have laminate flooring for the edges, and bottom, I'm then going to seal all the edges and gaps. Pop in a boxed off "quiet" area. A heat/uv lamp to go over the top and some plant pots an bits to go in it.

Rue

Canada
Yes...stay away from the ProRep mix (I looked it up). It might be good for some lizard species, but not the best option for the tortoise.

Looking forward to your build! (Remember...build big! LOL). :)

Great stuff I'll look in to that mulch then :) would I have that as a top layer or as a compleat base. Or would you ever go for a compleat base of coco coir, the only reason I ask is visually to me looks more "dirt" like.
May sound like a silly question, but there's no chance of me building too big is there?

Last edited:

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I use a complete base of coconut coir, actually. It does look more dirt-like. :) I'm not sure of the cypress stuff looks more attractive. And I still say, the bigger the better! :)

Rue

Canada
Great stuff I'll look in to that mulch then :) would I have that as a top layer or as a compleat base. Or would you ever go for a compleat base of coco coir, the only reason I ask is visually to me looks more "dirt" like.
May sound like a silly question, but there's no chance of me building too big is there?

I'd say no.

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that you did build it too big to begin with. Then you can always partition it off to make do. The tortoise will grow and then you can just remove the partition. It would save you building a second enclosure.

For a permanent inside enclosure the current minimum size recommendation (for Hermann's, Russians, etc.) is 4X 8'...

We started with a small enclosure, and now we will have to build a bigger one too, so I'm still watching what everyone else is building. I am getting lots of good ideas! :D

:). Well Iv made a start on mine, Guna get a good sized one inside to start, then I'm re doing the garden soon so Guna make a Mazzive area out there for the little lad :)

Do I need to leave the heat/uv lamp on all the time for him?

Rue

Canada
No. Hermann's do better with cooler night time temps, so 65 F (18 C) is fine (don't go too cold however!). If you are using the MVB, have it on for 12 hours. I have mine all on automatic timers. Everything turns off for the night.

If your tortoise (during the summer) is outside, then you don't need the MVB inside for that time period, because he is getting the UVB he needs from the sun, but you might still need a heat lamp if he's in on a cold rainy day.

If you can get him outside for real sun, for at least 3 days a week, for at least an hour or two each time, you don't have to use the MVB while you are able to get him outside.

They do need a higher temperature in order to be able to digest their food, etc., so you will need day time temps of 80- 90 F (27-32 C) and a basking temp of about 95 C (35 C). I bought a temperature gun, and I am always double checking temps. On very hot days, it gets too hot in the indoor enclosure too, so I turn off the lamp/light if necessary.

Humidity, at least in our neck of the woods, is a bit more work for me to maintain, but I've figure that out too.

No. Hermann's do better with cooler night time temps, so 65 F (18 C) is fine (don't go too cold however!). If you are using the MVB, have it on for 12 hours. I have mine all on automatic timers. Everything turns off for the night.

If your tortoise (during the summer) is outside, then you don't need the MVB inside for that time period, because he is getting the UVB he needs from the sun, but you might still need a heat lamp if he's in on a cold rainy day.

If you can get him outside for real sun, for at least 3 days a week, for at least an hour or two each time, you don't have to use the MVB while you are able to get him outside.

They do need a higher temperature in order to be able to digest their food, etc., so you will need day time temps of 80- 90 F (27-32 C) and a basking temp of about 95 C (35 C). I bought a temperature gun, and I am always double checking temps. On very hot days, it gets too hot in the indoor enclosure too, so I turn off the lamp/light if necessary.

Humidity, at least in our neck of the woods, is a bit more work for me to maintain, but I've figure that out too.

May i ask where your from, I'm in sunny England and was wondering about humidity and open top tables.

Secondary to that, how deep do you recommend substrate? Just so I can make sure I'm making it high enough :)
Thank you again.

Reactions: Rue

Rue

Canada
I live in the middle of the prairies. Brutally cold winters and brutally hot summers...lol. But you can't beat our blue skies!

I didn't make the substrate all that deep, because if they bury, and you need to find them, it can become quite the hide and seek exercise. I think I have about 3 inches. or 7-8 cm. But you can certainly put more in if you like.

I live in the middle of the prairies. Brutally cold winters and brutally hot summers...lol. But you can't beat our blue skies!

I didn't make the substrate all that deep, because if they bury, and you need to find them, it can become quite the hide and seek exercise. I think I have about 3 inches. or 7-8 cm. But you can certainly put more in if you like.

Haha sounds nice, I think :)

So my height top to bottom is 7.5 inches.
So 3 inches of substrate and then 4inches off that to the top, high enough do you think?

Rue

Canada
Actually no. They climb, so it has to be deep enough to keep them safe, and also to discourage climbing. Mine is 12" (30 cm)minimum, and I'd think that's a minimum for a baby, but I'd be inclined to go even higher, 15-18" (about 40-45 cm), but you'd have to use your judgement there.