He's not eating!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meggers

5 Year Member
So, it's like his second day not eating. He won't drink or soak. All he does is sleep/hide. Temp. same as been since I got him(basking side 90-95 degrees, cool side 80-85) He's in 20 or 25 gallon tank (small I know but making an outside house next summer.) So I think he's bored, but then again it could be something a lot worse. I'm so worried :'(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what are you offering him to eat? are you hovering and constantly checking things? try to give him quiet and space. too many new things and moving him in and out of places can be stressfull.

Meggers

5 Year Member
I offer him mustard greens and turnip greens. I check on normal once a day, with this noneating thing more like two to three. I only move him when it's soaking time or to go outside which is normal.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
80-85* for the cool side is too warm for a Russian. Your cool side needs to be low 70's. Nightime should be even cooler. Your tank is too small for you to create a temperature gradient ( warm one side/cool the other). This is how your tortoise regulates his body temperature. You have no where for him to cool off. It's great you are planning an outdoor enclosure for him next summer, but you really should get him into something bigger sooner. If you look through some of the tortoise enclosure threads, you can get some ideas of how to put together an inexpensive enclosure that will be much better for him.

Meggers

5 Year Member
So I've change the enclosure outdoors up to the end of the week. Can not get it done before then. So what should I do in the mean time? How to cool his cage off? Anther day as has pasted and he's still not eating. I'm super worried now. :(

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Yah, tortoise is hiding because tortoise is over heated. Is he just sitting in the hide with his head and legs pushed out? Are his eyes wet like he's crying? If you answer yes to any of these then he is too hot. You need to extend to lamp up higher from the the enclosure to drop the temps. Then you need to give the tortoise a soak in baby-warm water, let the water temp drop naturally to cool him down. 30 minutes should do nicely, then dry him off thoroughly, recheck the temps in the tank, if they are cooler place him back in and if not then mist the tank with cold water.

Do this ASAP!!!!

Laurie said:
80-85* for the cool side is too warm for a Russian. Your cool side needs to be low 70's. Nightime should be even cooler. Your tank is too small for you to create a temperature gradient ( warm one side/cool the other). This is how your tortoise regulates his body temperature. You have no where for him to cool off. It's great you are planning an outdoor enclosure for him next summer, but you really should get him into something bigger sooner. If you look through some of the tortoise enclosure threads, you can get some ideas of how to put together an inexpensive enclosure that will be much better for him.

I agree completely.

Meggers

5 Year Member
YES!!!!!! Legs out!! Ok little to late for a half hour soak. So as soon I get u, he's goes in. Hope this works. Making a 3 by 31/2 indoor enclosure instead to fix the over heating problem. So the outdoor enclosure will have till next summer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.