He's not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

akella

5 Year Member
So, we've only had our tortoise (Makai) for a little over a week. He is very active, but doesn't seem interested in eating. We've tried lettuce, kale, carrots, strawberries...he just walks by (or over the top) and keeps on going. Should we be concerned?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Concerned yes, but not to the serious stage yet. His activity is a good sign. What kind is your tortoise and how old? What temps are you keeping him at? The hot spot and cold spot during the day and then at night are what we are looking for. Do you have lights on him? What kind and for how long are they on? Do you give him warm soaks?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO :)

What species of tortoise do you have?

Tortoises can be VERY slow to adapt to new surroundings. Some an hold on weeks or even months before relaxing and behaving and eating properly. A week is no time at all.

Can I suggest you read Tom's Beginner Mistakes thread as it's really helpful for new keepers.

To help your tortoise get used to you and understand that his new home is safe, i suggest you establish a routine.

Use a timer to make sure that the lights and heat come on and go off at the same time each day.
Soak your tortoise before he's warmed up properly in the morning. This is really important if he isn't eating properly.
Feed your tortoise directly after his soak and hem leave him be. He will find you watching very intimidating at the moment, so leave him alone and don't feel tempted to stand there and watch.
My soaking tips are here

Amber_123

5 Year Member
I have a four month old sulcata, I know I am not the most experience but I hope this helps!
My tortoise went a few days without eating and drinking, it worried me. I soaked him for 35 minutes in warm water and he loved it. When I was done soaking him I put him in his house and he ate a little more! I say you joule soak him at least twice a day until he is better then you can go to once a day. If he still doesn't eat and it concerns you, go buy baby food and mix it 50/50 with warm water and soak him through that. They drink from soaking water though their skin and by actually dipping their heads down and drinking so he will get the nutrients but soaking it up! I hope this helps!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.