Hermy's result

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
The vet called me today (not the one that did the blood test because he is on vacation). She told me the results are normal so Hermy does not have any problem with his kidneys. I asked her " so it means Hermy is ok" she answered me " hmm well the resutls are normal and the results of the urine culture is normal but your regular vet saw kidney cells in Hermy's urine so he told me to ask you to bring another sample of urine, that way we will check if there is blood in it" THEY DID A CULTURE AND A TEST ON THE 8TH!! I am scared that I gave Hermy antibiotic for 21 days for nothing. I still dont know why his urine is redish (like there is blood in it) :(. I will look for another reptile vet in montreal and ask for a urine test.

ruanda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Portugal
I wish you all the luck for Hermy, Isa. ;);)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, do these two vets work out of the same place?
Sounds like they are interested in $$$ more than Hermys health. If they just did a culture and blood test on the 8th and today is the 17th you are only looking at 9 days between cultures. Sounds excessive to me but I am no Vet. However if it were me I would be looking for another vet even if it was just to do a simple urine culture to see what they say.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It sounds like Hermy is fine to me. :) Most of my hatchlings have brown urine and they are fine.
It does sound like the vets are over doing it with all these tests one after another.
Like Robyn said, time for a new vet I think. :p

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Ruanda, Robyn and Danny.
I will defenitly look for another reptile vet. My poor Hermy did not eat all his food dish since the blood test (he ate the half of it). yesterday, I put him in a bath and he was all traumatized that I touched him :(. I am not sure anymore if the vet knows what he is talking about because he told me Hermy will always have problems with his kidneys, but what problem does he have, the vet does not know!!! He gave Hermy antibiotics without seeing any bacteria in his urine, He told me he did not want to take any chances. I am kind of happy that Hermy will not see him again, I really hope the next vet will be a very good one :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
The Vet should be able to do a very simple dip stick test with the urine to test for blood. If you can get a urine sample, take that in and NOT the tort. Less stress, and have them test it.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Laura said:
The Vet should be able to do a very simple dip stick test with the urine to test for blood. If you can get a urine sample, take that in and NOT the tort. Less stress, and have them test it.

Thanks Laura :). I only bring Hermy to the vet for the blood test, for the urine culture, I only bring the urine. The problem is that the vet asked me to bring urines so that he can see if there is blood in it (with the stick). But he is asking me that after 2 urine culture and a blood test (all made within a month and a half, the last urine culture was made on the 8th. I am starting to think he is more interesting in $$$ than Hermy's health.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, did you continue to feed the antibiotic to Hermy with cactus pears or strawberrys?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Isa, did you continue to feed the antibiotic to Hermy with cactus pears or strawberrys?

Hello Robyn
Yes I did for 21 days (mostly with cactus pears but only little pieces). The last day of the antibiotic was on the 4th.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Cactus pears can cause darkened or reddish urine sometimes if the cactus pears were red. Does he still have reddish urine? and have you gotten the results of the bloodwork. Your vet does not have to be back from vacation to give you the results any vet in his office should be able to do that.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Cactus pears can cause darkened or reddish urine sometimes if the cactus pears were red. Does he still have reddish urine? and have you gotten the results of the bloodwork. Your vet does not have to be back from vacation to give you the results any vet in his office should be able to do that.

Robyn,
Yes, Hermy's urine still redish brownish. Another vet called me to tell me the result of the blood test and she told me all was normal. But she also told me that the vet left me a note that says that I should bring Hermy's urine again to check if there is blood in it because he still does not understand why the urines is brown but like I said before, I will not go there again, I will look for a new vet.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa here is a list of vets hopefully in your area I have found. Hope this helps.

There are a few reptile vets in Montreal. This first one specializes in turtles and tortoises:

Corina Lupu, DVM, Bird & Exotic Pet Hosp., 6090 Sherbrooke W., Montreal, Quebec, Canada 514-486-5258

These are reptile vets:

Hopital Vet du Nord
9888 Lajeunesse
Montreal H3L 2E1
541-382-1184

Hopital vétérinaire pour oiseaux et animaux exotiques
6090 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal H4A 1Y1
514-486-5258

Martin Ouellet
Hochelaga Vet Cln
8569 Hochelaga
Montreal H1L 2M2
514-352-6263

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Isa here is a list of vets hopefully in your area I have found. Hope this helps.

There are a few reptile vets in Montreal. This first one specializes in turtles and tortoises:

Corina Lupu, DVM, Bird & Exotic Pet Hosp., 6090 Sherbrooke W., Montreal, Quebec, Canada 514-486-5258

These are reptile vets:

Hopital Vet du Nord
9888 Lajeunesse
Montreal H3L 2E1
541-382-1184

Hopital vétérinaire pour oiseaux et animaux exotiques
6090 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal H4A 1Y1
514-486-5258

Martin Ouellet
Hochelaga Vet Cln
8569 Hochelaga
Montreal H1L 2M2
514-352-6263

Robyn :D Thank you soo much. I did not know there was a reptile vet specialized in turtles and tortoises in montreal :D. I just called for dr Lupu but she does not take new clients :( but the girl told me all the vets there are good with tortoises :)
Thanks again :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa if you can have Hermy checked and he is OK that is thanks enough. Good luck please keep us posted. Make sure you take the time line that the other vet has done with Hermy to your new vet so that s/he knows what has been done and what the results were so they are not duplicating test. I have sent you a pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.