Blood test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Yesterday, I went to the vet with baby Hermy for the blood test. It was terrible. Let me know if it is normal. The tecnician was holding Hermy's head really hard (because Hermy wanted to put his head in his shell) Hermy did the sound he does when he is super scary like 6 or 7 times in a row. After that the tecnician was holding his head in a way that Hermy could not open his mouth. It took like 4 or 5 minutes. After the blood was taken by the vet. the tecnician was still holding Hermy's head to make sure it would stop bleeding. When I looked, Hermy's eyes were out of his head, it was a horrible vision. When she let go of Hermy, he opened his mouth super big to breath for like 2 or 3 minutes. When I got home, I put Hermy in his house and he did not go in his hide right away, he just fell asleep under his light (his 4 legs out) for like 3 hours :( He never sleeps under his light with his 4 legs out if we are in the same room as him, he always wakes up. Now he just woke up and now he is relaxing under his basking light.
Another vet called me last week for the results of the second urine sample, she told me she did not understand why the vet did not make a culture she she sent the urine for a culture. I got the result yesterday, Hermy does not have a bladder infection, he told me he gave Hermy antibiotic for 21 days because he was not sure if he had an infection or not but he wanted to play safe!!! Why did'nt he sent the urine for a culture (it is a more accurate test) Now I am not sure anymore, did I give Hermy antibiotc for nothing!!!! Hermy's urine are still redish, he told me to bring another sample If I wanted to, It cost me 434.00CAD for all this urine thing and maybe it was all normal. The vet will call me with the result today or monday. I cant wait to know if the problem is a renal failure or not? The vet looks like he thinks it is that because apparently there was kidney cell in Hermy's urine again the second time. I will let you know what the resuls are, I will keep my finger crossed.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, I am so sorry you and Hermy had to go through such a horrible experiance. I do not know how normal any of that is but it sounds terrible to experiance. And I am sure just taking Hermy to the vet was stressful for him. Plus the head pulling and blood test I'm sure he was exasted. When I have taken my Greeks in the Vet has had to grab their heads and hang on tight to keep them from pulling back into their shell. But they have never had that done for more than a minute or two as he took a culture or looked into their mouths. As for the $$$. Tort vet care can be very expensive. You said you saw a second vet that sent his urine in for a culture. I might think of sticking with her. Sounds like she is a get to the heart of the problem rather than just fishing for answers or treating in case of.... Please keep us informed and know I send good thoughts to you and Hermy.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Drawing blood should NEVER be that much of a traumatic experience for tortoises - even small ones. It sounds like your vet didn't really know what (s)he was doing. Sorry to hear the experience was bad. I'd recommend finding a different vet who's had experience with drawing blood from tortoises if you ever need a sample for a test.

Drawing blood from a tortoise should only take a few moments, and should NEVER require restraining the tortoise in a way that causes discomfort or pain. As an example, the little guy in this photo barely felt anything, and the entire experience lasted about 15 seconds:

blood_test.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Robyn & Michael
I dont know what to do, the other vet who asked for the culture is not that good, she is the first vet I saw at this clinic, when she was holding Hermy, Hermy urinated on her and SHE SHAKES HERMY, can you beleive that she shaked Hermy and she is does not know much about reptile. I think I am going to look for another clinic. I am still waiting for the result, they will probably call me on monday. I will try to find another reptile clinic in Montreal.
I will let you know the result. Today, my fiance's family came from the states and they brought me my order of cactus pads, new zealand sphagmum moss and the T-Rex MVB :D (I did one order at Carolina pet supply last week but they do not deliver the lights in Canada and I knew my fiance's family were comming :D). Tomorrow Hermy will have a nice surprise for breakfast :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.