Always in her pool??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello all

I already started a thread 6 months ago about Hermy because he urinates a lot. The vet did a blood test and he was not too sure about the results. He checked on the internet to see the normal range of Hermanns and Hermy's Kidneys were good but he told me
something in his blood related to his kidneys was border line . He wants to make another blood test in a month to see if Hermy is still ok. Since a while Hermy is going into his pool 3-4 times a day, is it normal (of course she urinates almost eveytime she in there)? Does anyone of you have a tortoise (not Hermanns only but any kind) who does that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It has been my experience that box turtles that stay in the water a long time are usually ill. If I notice a box turtle that has been sitting in the water overnight or for a couple days (I have over 30 of them in that pen, so individual attention is not possible) it usually either has an infestation of parasites or respiratory infection or some other illness.

It's good that you have your little guy under the care of a vet. I hope nothing is seriously wrong with him.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Yvonne, Hermy does not stay a long time in his pool, 5 seconds maybe, it is just in and out but he goes 3 or 4 times a day. Today I saw him drink 2 or 3 times.

Laura, He does not urinates when I pick him up but when he drinks water. I noticed the frequency but also the big stain on his carpet. Before he used to urinates when he was eating, he does not do that anymore.

I forgot to add that Hermy has a very very very good apetite and he is active (hmm active in Hermy's way :) ). Before I used to see bubbles comming out of his nose but since I remove the timothy hay from his hide, I did not see any since then. He does not want to sleep in the aspen or in the eco earth, only on the carpet, I hope it is not too dusty for him.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
a couple seconds multiple times per day doesnt sounds like anything to worry about. especially if hes just stopping by to drink and pee and then moves on. if you're really worried, i'd request a poo check from the vet instead of another blood test... i doubt they'll find much different in a second blood test.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
josh said:
a couple seconds multiple times per day doesnt sounds like anything to worry about. especially if hes just stopping by to drink and pee and then moves on. if you're really worried, i'd request a poo check from the vet instead of another blood test... i doubt they'll find much different in a second blood test.

Thanks Josh

I feel much more better now that I know this is "kind of" normal. The last time I went to the vet for the blood test, he missed his vein 4-5 times, Poor Hermy, he was going crazy :(. I am sure Hermy won't mind a poo check :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa you can always take a fresh poo sample in a plastic bag to the vet to have it checked.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Robyn
Yes, that is what I will try to do. It won't be easy because when I get home, his poop is usually dry (or he ate it or he walked on it) So I will hope he will poop next weekend :). Sorry for the details :shy:

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
No apology needed Isa, if you have torts and Turts Poo is a very worthy subject. I always get excited when a new hatchling poos for the first time and I don't care who knows it. :D Guess it just comes from being a tort/turt parent.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I noticed something else I forgot to tell, when Hermy urinates, his legs get all tense, like paralized. I changed the carpet under her pool 2 weeks ago, I just changed it now. I took pics before I changed it. Does it look like brown poop or redish blood?

Let me know what you think.

PICT2091.jpg

PICT2089.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
hmmm not bloody, but bloody urine. Like what a cats would look like if it had a bladder infection...HOWEVER.. i also see white urates.. they look normal.
Could be poo leakage or rust or?? if eating normal and fecal ( poo) test comes back normal, I would try not to worry.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Laura said:
hmmm not bloody, but bloody urine. Like what a cats would look like if it had a bladder infection...HOWEVER.. i also see white urates.. they look normal.
Could be poo leakage or rust or?? if eating normal and fecal ( poo) test comes back normal, I would try not to worry.

Thanks Laura,

Could it be a bladder infection? And have you ever heard or saw a tortoise with the legs all tense when she urinates.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the tortoise has been eating dandelion greens, that would be one reason the urine is tinged reddish or brownish.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
emysemys said:
If the tortoise has been eating dandelion greens, that would be one reason the urine is tinged reddish or brownish.

Yvonne

Hello Yvonne

Yes, she ate a bit of dandelions last week, but her urines are this color even if she does not eat dandelions.

Status
Not open for further replies.