Came back from the vet with Hermy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello all

I just came back from the vet with Hermy. He did not like the color of the urines, He thought it could be a stone and that his "legs" thing (he streched his back legs and they become paralized when he urinates) when he urinates is a sign of suffering. He made an X-ray and wooohooo Hermy does not have a stone :). He did not want to make a blood test or a poo sample, it says it was unescesary, instead he wants me to bring a urine sample on saturday morning (that will not be easy to do). Hermy was traumatized but he was quiet. Now he is sleeping in his hide. The vet told me that if the urine test is negative, the color in her urine is normal and that the legs thing could be a habbit. I just hope everything is going to be ok :). I told the vet Hermy hates the soil mix and the aspen but loved the carpet. He told me to remove all the aspen and soil to put carpet everywhere, he told me to retry the aspen in a year when Hermy get older and bigger. I think leaving a space with aspen is a good idea because if he wants to go, he can, I leave him a choice. What do you think?

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Isa said:
Hello all

I just came back from the vet with Hermy. He did not like the color of the urines, He thought it could be a stone and that his "legs" thing (he streched his back legs and they become paralized when he urinates) when he urinates is a sign of suffering. He made an X-ray and wooohooo Hermy does not have a stone :). He did not want to make a blood test or a poo sample, it says it was unescesary, instead he wants me to bring a urine sample on saturday morning (that will not be easy to do). Hermy was traumatized but he was quiet. Now he is sleeping in his hide. The vet told me that if the urine test is negative, the color in her urine is normal and that the legs thing could be a habbit. I just hope everything is going to be ok :). I told the vet Hermy hates the soil mix and the aspen but loved the carpet. He told me to remove all the aspen and soil to put carpet everywhere, he told me to retry the aspen in a year when Hermy get older and bigger. I think leaving a space with aspen is a good idea because if he wants to go, he can, I leave him a choice. What do you think?

Hey Isa,

My Vet said the same thing.... the indoor carpet stuff.

My new tort is coming in on Sunday. My seller has offered to give me one after my little guy died after 3 weeks.

I have to make a similar decision by tomorrow.

Anyone else recommend a good substrate? someone said paper towel. That'll be pretty ugly.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Siwash

Wow on sunday, I can't wait to see his pic :).

Scott towel is not a great idea with Hermy since she eats it.

I really like the aspen but he does not, he always want to stay on his carpet.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
can u please take a picture of the carpet

thanks so much!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
siwash, I just put this in another thread. I agree with Isa, use the brown or gray not the green. The turtle carpet I have used in my hospital tank and will be changing my new hatchlings on to it as they can not eat it. If you get it, I suggest you get it times 2 that way when you take it out to clean it you can put in the other one. do not wash with soap. use plain water or a diluted bleach solution and rinse really well until all the smell is gone. make sure you have a hide or an area that is humid-er for your little one. Pyramiding has been linked to really dry habitats, as well as poor diet.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
With regards to humid hides, I would spreay an are with a water bottle. Is this ok?

how else can u make a humid hide?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
siwash said:
With regards to humid hides, I would spreay an are with a water bottle. Is this ok?

how else can u make a humid hide?

on the warm side of you tort house, you have to put a humid hide. You can glue a wet sponge or you could make a hole through the top of the hide and take a piece of wet sponge and screw it with a screw to the top of the hide, the screw should stick out to the exterior part, I prefer this way to do it because I can change the sponge whenever I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.