MunchIsMyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Overall I need a lot of help :p

Problem One:
I'm going to make an outdoor enclosure for my tortoise to roam around and be in during the day, and then at night I can bring him inside and use a heat lamp for a little and then turn it off when he goes to bed? Is this a bad idea, the moving back and forth between enclosures?

Problem Two: I could leave him outside all night, but then I'd need to figure out how / what lights to use and find the eletrical sockets outside not near sprinklers etc. How have you guys done it? Are there lights without cords or something or heating pads? I live in California but I still would feel better with a heater something.

Problem Three: I am not sure how big to make it, I just know I'd like to do it out of wooden / planks or whatever and have a top with wire to keep out any unwanted guests. I am not so sure how to go about this; also since I don't want him to dig, I would add a floor (instead of digging into the ground where pipes are)

Any tips would be appreciated:<3::tort:

snivloc16

Kansas
How old is your tortoise? I have a 5 year old hermanns I keep in an outdoor enclosure from May to October in Kansas. As long as your temps don’t drop below 50 at night , he doesn’t need any lamps outdoors at all. He will find the sunny areas in the morning to warm himself up. And you can’t stop a hermanns from digging or climbing. I basically just made a 5x10 planter box then put chicken wire in the bottom then a layer of weed fabric. Then about 4-5 inches of topsoil/coco coir mix. And chicken wire on top to keep out predators.

snivloc16

Kansas
Also search outdoor tortoise enclosure on Pinterest. You’ll find tons of great pictures to get ideas.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
1) If at all, lamps would make sense in the morning, not in the evening. But he really don't need them at this time of the year.
But I would still recommend to get a cold frame as a refuge on chilly and rainy days (maye you could even keep him outside year round if you don't get cold spells?). Since he will most likely sleep in there you can also lock it up in the evening for more protection. ;)

2) He really doesn't need any lights at night.

3) The recommended minimum size in Europe is about 100sq ft. Just go as big as you can.
Hermanns hardly ever dig, only in loose soil (at their sleeping place) or for hibernation, so I don't think you need a floor.

MunchIsMyTortoise

Los Angeles
How old is your tortoise? I have a 5 year old hermanns I keep in an outdoor enclosure from May to October in Kansas. As long as your temps don’t drop below 50 at night , he doesn’t need any lamps outdoors at all. He will find the sunny areas in the morning to warm himself up. And you can’t stop a hermanns from digging or climbing. I basically just made a 5x10 planter box then put chicken wire in the bottom then a layer of weed fabric. Then about 4-5 inches of topsoil/coco coir mix. And chicken wire on top to keep out predators.

He is about 5, and we're in LA so it rarely does. For the digging part I just meant to stop him from digging out of the enclosure haha. I was wondering about using a planter box with a top like you do.

1) If at all, lamps would make sense in the morning, not in the evening. But he really don't need them at this time of the year.
But I would still recommend to get a cold frame as a refuge on chilly and rainy days (maye you could even keep him outside year round if you don't get cold spells?). Since he will most likely sleep in there you can also lock it up in the evening for more protection. ;)

2) He really doesn't need any lights at night.

3) The recommended minimum size in Europe is about 100sq ft. Just go as big as you can.
Hermanns hardly ever dig, only in loose soil (at their sleeping place) or for hibernation, so I don't think you need a floor.

Thanks so much for this advice; sometimes we do have the odd rain or cold spell but it rarely drops below the 50s or even 60s. I will definitely have a cold frame or something of that sort for my guy

Do your tortoises bang on the sides or whatever of your outdoor enclosures? I am scared mine will

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Do your tortoises bang on the sides or whatever of your outdoor enclosures? I am scared mine will
Not at all. Recently they started to climb at the walls trying to get out because they could look outside (they have grown quite a bit this spring and the visual barrier wasn't high enough anymore) but that problem was easily fixed and now they seem content again. ;)
They are 4 years old now (200g) and the enclosure is about 70 sq ft, I guess it will be sufficient for at least another year or two.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA

Same here in MO, my two do just fine in that same time frame or April/May to October with no supplemental heat. As long as some part of the pen gets sun in the morning, they will find it. I have a man made "burrow" made from a 5 gallon bucket half buried and covered and half filled with dirt and I do not have problem with mine digging at all.