Hermann Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
You won't find a ready-made enclosure for cheaper, except maybe if you're lucky on craigslist (sometimes I see homemade tort tables pop up). It really is cheaper just to build one...I made one (2'x 6') for under $40. Much cheaper than that small zoomed. Your tort will outgrow that quickly!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can also find and use a dresser laid on its back and modified with strong backing (which will be the bottom) and then a liner to keep moisture from being an issue to the wood....:D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Team Gomberg said:
Ok. So regardless of a closed chamber enclosure and without trying to derail the thread, I'll ask it this way..

What kind of humidity levels are needed for the hatchling Mediterranean species of tortoises?

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

"What kind of humidity levels are needed for the hatchling Mediterranean species of tortoises?"

Most species of true Mediterraneans, generally considered as the three Hermann's subspecies, Ibera Greeks, some Middle Eastern Greek subspecies, Marginateds and to an extent, Egyptian tortoises do well with an ambient humidity level in the range of 50-70%. If at the lower end of this range the humidity should be higher at night, in the 65-80% range. This is as long as night time temperatures are mild, 55-65 degrees. Most of the above mentioned species are evolved to experience an increase in humidity at night as the temperature drops. Where young growing, developing tortoises are concerned, along with suitable ambient humidity so should a semi-moist substrate and constant source of drinking water be made available. Overall hydration is the absolute key to raising young growing Mediterranean tortoises as well as many other species. This is not to say they should be kept in extremely highly humid or overly damp conditions constantly. There is a line between reason and dangerous excess when it comes to humidity and dampness, especially when coupled with low temperatures. But even at high temperatures excessive humidity and dampness can create poor quality breathing air, encourage mold and fungal spore growth and lead to respiratory issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.